Network Problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grint

Beta member
I want to set up a network between only two computers. I have a laptop w/ dock running WIN98 and a Desktop running WINXP. I have an ethernet cable. Do I need a network hub still? I have tried to hook up the two computers directly, but it tells me the cable is unplugged. HELP! I would love an extended answer, not just a sentance. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

To connect them directly you would need a crossover cable, not a standard ethernet cable. A router would be the best way to do it IMO. And run the network setup wizard on the XP computer first, create the disk at the end of the wizard, then run it on the 98 machine.

To connect them directly you would need a crossover cable, not a standard ethernet cable. A router would be the best way to do it IMO. And run the network setup wizard on the XP computer first, create the disk at the end of the wizard, then run it on the 98 machine.

Ya sure I will try what you said!

Use a crossover cable to connect both computers, then configure following info:

Computer A:

IP Address: 10.1.1.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Computer B:

IP Address: 10.1.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Since these 2 computers are directly connected, no gateway and DNS servers are needed. You should then be able to ping each other.

Hope helps..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom