Network Engineering vs Information Technology

Dieselrob

Beta member
Hi guys,

I have a quick question and hopefully someone here could clear it up. I have always wanted to do something computer related when it came to getting my degree.

I've done a little research and network security is pretty big from what I gather and it seems really interesting to me, I could see myself doing it as a career.

My CC offers a network engineering degree, with tech certificates in things such as cyber security and digital forensics. Network engineering covers things such as A+, cisco etc.

However, I have seen a couple places where people say stay away from IT, does network engineer differ from IT, and do I have better job potential pursuing N.E and all the certs I can possibly grab?

I pay out of pocket, I don't carry college loan debt, so I want to make sure I commit to the right thing.

I appreciate it.

Network Engineer is a subset of IT. IT is a very broad field that encompasses a lot.

I would first say follow what you want to do and what you feel your dream job would be. Far too many people put weight into what others say about specific fields. Do what you love and you can't go wrong. IT, accounting, managing - doesn't matter, if you enjoy it do it.

Secondly did you even ask that person why they suggested not going into IT? It's the one field that has been least effected by the recession, it holds 3 of the top 10 best paying careers for 2014 (6 of the other 7 were doctor related) and it's one of the few industries that has steady growth over the past 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom