Network Drive Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greencow_555

Baseband Member
Hi, I thought I would be able to find more info before posting, but I really seem to be in the dark here.

I would like to set up a network drive between 2 - 3 computers and I have a few questions I would be glad if anyone could shed some light on.

I am wondering what is the value in having an external drive rather than just mapping one with windows XP? and also, I have glimpsed upon NAS Drives? Some sites seemed to suggest an external drive must be NAS to be fully functional as a network drive. Is this true?

Lastly, if I use an external does that mean none of the computers HAS to be left on to access it from any of the others, this would be better as leaving a computer on is not desirable.

Thanks peeps for any help.

OKay, i think i can help on some of your questions. First you can map a drive whether it be internal or external. I have an external drive sitting right next to me this moment, and it is shared on my network, and the computers accessing the drive have it mapped. So you don't have to have an internal drive in order to utilize the mapping function in XP.

NAS drives are network attached storage units. They are hard drives, but they are more than just that. They allow you the ability to share the hard drive without having to have a computer on that the hard drive is attached too. Think of it as a cheap server that allows you to share and access files. I believe some even give you the ability of a RAID configuration. So in short, no you don't need a NAS drive to have a fully functional shared drive. You just have to have two computers, each with their own hard drive, then just share one. NAS just gives you that extra ability to have all of your computers off, then say you connect to your network VIA Wi-Fi. Then you can access the NAS w/o having to boot up a computer. Make sense?

If you use an internal OR external hard drive for network purposes, the computer that the drive is connected to HAS to be kept on in order to allow other users to access the drive. If you kept your computers off the drive wouldn't be shared. This is where having a NAS comes in handy.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions.

Hi, I thought I would be able to find more info before posting, but I really seem to be in the dark here.

I would like to set up a network drive between 2 - 3 computers and I have a few questions I would be glad if anyone could shed some light on.

I am wondering what is the value in having an external drive rather than just mapping one with windows XP?
A external would have to be shared and given full permissions for everyone to access and modify it. Same would ahve to be done with XP but since you are doing it with XP anyways might as well sue a dedicated drive.

and also, I have glimpsed upon NAS Drives?

Yes NAS Drives are created for this specific purpose. They are attached to the network by a Ethernet cable to the router.

Some sites seemed to suggest an external drive must be NAS to be fully functional as a network drive. Is this true?

Not fully true but it will certainly help. Will make life much easier.

Lastly, if I use an external does that mean none of the computers HAS to be left on to access it from any of the others, this would be better as leaving a computer on is not desirable.

Thanks peeps for any help.

Yes if you use a External attached to a PC that PC will have to be left on while someone is trying to access it. If the PC is off then the drive will not be able to be accessed. At all.

Your best solution will be the NAS. It was designed and made for this reason.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks guys, you have both answered all of my questions with seering clarity. My last question then:

If had a normal Non-NAS usb external hard drive. What is to stop me using a usb splitter to plug it into two machines... would this give the same effect of not having to leave one specific computer on? or does this have hang ups of some sort?

I ask because the difference in prices between a nomral Ext. and a NAS is quite substantial.

Thanks again,

Just share it over the network. I'm sure you will run into issues if you just use a USB splitter. WHen you share a drive the OS knows who is accessing what files, and has the ability to say 'access denyed' if someone is already using a file. If you install the drive on two computers and use them simoteneously with a splitter, i bet you will get tons of freezes from the OS's trying to access the same files.

I wouldn't advise it.

Hello,

Using a splitter would cause conflicts. Which system would get the priority if they both tried to access it at the same time? That would cause conflict not only with the drive but with the PC's trying to access it.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom