Needing some kind of Wireless Bridge (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk

Baseband Member
When I got DSL in the fall I set up a wireless router using a D-Link DI-624 router. It's in the office with the DSL modem and a desktop hard-wired to it via Ethernet; I'm in my shop/studio a door down the hall with my laptop and DWL-G650 card adapter. I'm clearing a space in here to work on computers, though, and would like to have internet access for more than one computer. I was hoping that there is some sort of wireless reciever (called a bridge, I think) that would recieve the wireless signal from the other room and then offer several Ethernet ports to plug comps into. I've found several that work for Xboxes and stuff and offer one Ethernet port, but can't seem to find any others. I'd like to have an access point at my workbench, otherwise I guess I'd just purchase a couple of those little wireless USB devices... though I don't know. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

You should be careful how many times you split it. Unless you have fiber optic cable 15 up 15 down you should watch your bandwidth usage.

check if you even need this. test to see what your signal strength is on the other room. if your signal is weak what you could do is place the wireless router midway between the two rooms so that only half the distance is required between the devices.

the device you are talking about is called an access point, a bridge allows a wired ethernet device to communicate with your wireless devices. they should really call it an adaptor. wireless routers are all-in-one. they serve as your bridge, router, and switch. If placing your wireless router midway doesnt work I think all you need to do is buy another wireless router and uplink them together. that will be your access point to wirelessly uplink them together.

I don't have any problem recieving in here (it is the next room). And I was figuring at most having two computers online at the same time. I guess I could just get one of the little recievers with the ethernet port. I just didn't want to bother with installing a pci card in every computer I'm working on.

you would either have to purchase a wireless adapter for each computer, or purchase a wireless bridge and connect the wireless bridge to a switch and then have each computer go into the switch (wired).

A switch! A ha! Thank you. I hadn't thought of that for some reason.

I wasn't aware you didn't want to install PCI cards. I don't think they sell many wireless bridges in stores any more. a wireless router serves as the bridge, switch, and access point. I think you could uplink 2 wireless routers and plug your computer into it's switch or go with wireless adapters for each computer if they are spaced far apart.

right, you could use a wireless router, but you will have to put the wireless router into bridge mode in order to obtain the signal from the main wireless router that you have. I would cost about the same either way.
Wireless Bridge with 5-port switch
keep in mind that the wireless bridge does not send any wireless signal. It simply captures your wireless signal and places that network signal that it obtains to the switch that it is connected to. In this case, the wireless bridge has an integrated switch.
Another wireless router in bridge mode would do the same thing. It would also obtain your nearest wireless signal and place that network access onto it's integrated switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom