Need to secure PDF docs

Rockrz

Baseband Member
OK, so sometime I want to print a PDF doc where nobody can makes changes to it, insert stuff in to it, or extract the info from it.

In other words, all I want therm to be able to do is print it and that's it...

On my secondary XP machine, I was using a program by Software602 that allowed me to do this... but, in order to upgrade for my new Win 7 machine I'd have to pay $119 so I'd like to see if there is a free (or low cost) PDF printing program out there that would allow me to do this with PDF docs.

Any leads on something like this?

Well this is easy and complicated all at the same time. Cause while you can do something easy like set a PDF Password on the file so that they would need that to make changes, there are tutorials and software out there to break such protection.

Not only that but I have yet to find any text based file that you cant open in some program that you cant just copy the text and paste it into another new document. So really there is no protection against that in any text based document. At least none that can be secured and not gotten around.

So not sure where you want to go knowing that any text based file can be copied if the user really wants. Heck if the person really wanted, they could just take your information and re-type it into a new document themselves. So as you can see there is always a way to do something if the user is handy enough. It just depends on the type of information your looking to secure.

Having a password is not an option as this is something that would sent to customers for them to print out on their printer.

I understand that it's not absolutely foolproof. I just don't want it to be easy for them to make changes.

Just looking for a program that is like my Software602 program that has security settings so you can create a PDF file where all that is allowed is printing only.

I just didn't want to spend $119 to upgrade, but if nothing else is available, then that's what I'll have to do. It's tax write off business expense so it's not that big of a deal.

Just wanted to look around to see if there are some free or lower cost options to accomplish this.

Back
Top Bottom