Need to interview a Network Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheezer

Beta member
One requirement of applying for a certain federal government scholarship is I have to interview three persons in my field of interest (computer networking). So far I have emailed a few companies with my request. I found these companies in the phone book Their ads use phrases such as business network services, network design, network consultation, wireless networking, etc.

So far I've received zero response. My question is this - am I on the right track? Or are these companies simply too busy to bother with some noob when they have important clients to deal with? I'm looking for companies that have computer support type jobs (only certificate or two-year degree required). Any ideas?

Appreciate your time and thoughful ideas!

Maybe you should try microsoft. I e-mailed them about doing an e-mail interview with a software engineer and they replied saying I should call their central office. They gave me a phone number..I never did call :\ so I can't say for sure if it'll work for you...but it's worth a shot.

So do you have to interview with the company or just interview someone in the company that has the position you are looking to get?

Cause if it is the first option, many wont grant a interview if they are not currently hiring for that position. As they would have to dedicate a HR person to do it which would be a loss of man hours for them and basically lost money. Even more so if they are not hiring at the time.

So you will have to find places that are currently looking. Microsoft would be a good one as the first interview is a phone interview. It is done conference call style. which is only step 1 of their process.

So that could work for you there. But you will have to find 2 others that are willing to grant the man hours to something like this. Which will be tough.

Your best bet will be to call. I don't know how many companies you've emailed, but you are going to have to email a ton in order to just get one or two to email you back.

Calling and going up in person are you best bets. Biggest reason being that people (within corporations) will probably toss out any emails they are not expecting or emails in which fraud could be a part (random emails from people asking for information, interviews, etc). I know you're legit, but you are a victim of the information age. Just ask any business own, you get a TON of emails that are bogus.

I like all of those ideas. I hadn't thought of Microsoft. Now, I'm thinking in terms of bigger companies. And calling or going in person. I realize now - Email wont get a response for all the reasons given.

I just have to ask a Network person stuff like "What do you like best about your job?" Then they have to sign and date a paper to show the interview actually happened.

What about a cable company or Internet Service Provider? They have routers, hubs, servers, etc. and
people who are hired to configure that network? Do Universities have network people? For me, a computer network has always been my computer and modem so I don't know anything about big networks like those used in companies.

Network support types who just need some certifications to work in the field would be the ideal interviewee. But, anyone working in computer networking would probably do.

I like all of those ideas. I hadn't thought of Microsoft. Now, I'm thinking in terms of bigger companies. And calling or going in person. I realize now - Email wont get a response for all the reasons given.

I just have to ask a Network person stuff like "What do you like best about your job?" Then they have to sign and date a paper to show the interview actually happened.

What about a cable company or Internet Service Provider? They have routers, hubs, servers, etc. and
people who are hired to configure that network? Do Universities have network people? For me, a computer network has always been my computer and modem so I don't know anything about big networks like those used in companies.

Network support types who just need some certifications to work in the field would be the ideal interviewee. But, anyone working in computer networking would probably do.

You can ask me these questions if you need too, I'm a LAN Admin :cool:

You can ask me these questions if you need too, I'm a LAN Admin :cool:

Thanks, I really appreciate that!

No, wait...but then I would have to have it signed. I suppose snail mail....no that's alright. I have a plan, now that I've thought about it. I just need to get busy on getting it done, thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom