Need some advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Press_Corpse

In Runtime
Hey folks,
I know I haven't been around in a while, but recently I upgraded from my pentium 4 system to an i5 2500k system with 16gb of ram on a Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3. I'm looking to help the forum out and need help choosing a client that would be best suited for my 64-bit system. I would like something easy to setup and run when I have a few hours to cram WU's.

I also have a XFX 5770 but I know that ATI cards are not favored by the folding program just yet so I am not worried about that as much.

Any help would be great guys. Thanks!
Chris

Actually K....... get the version 7 client, and it';s alot better. It's now a all in one with AMD/ATI Card support.

6-10k on the atis now.

I'll rewrite the guide soon.

I just tried it and I cant agree. The V2 Tracker allows for simple setup of both CPU and GPU. Using the latest build of the V7 I cant get both of them configured. There is only options for CPu, GPU or uniprocessor. I dont see anywhere in the software's latest Beta that allows for the use of both programs at once.

Unless I am completely missing something on this V7.

Well I figured it out. But i dont know. I still think the V2 Tracker is much easier to work with. At least with that you can set the -advmethods and -verbosity 9 flags on the SMP client. The V7 you cant, at least not to the extent i have seen. I got to be missing something with this V7.

KSOD, just a little heads up man, when your folding with CPU and GPU, monitor your CPU closely with the core temp gadget.
Yes, it is good stuff to fold both gpu and cpu or 2 GPU's at the same with with -smp 4, but things will warm up quickly during the day if hot outside.
Had to stop folding recently to give my core i3 a break.
Also system performance will suffer greatly when your cpu and gpu heat up without any proper room tempatures.

Just giving you that advice, so you don't come home to a non functioning computer.

I gave v7 a shot and it seems pretty easy to use. Ive set the smp to 8, I just dont know how to configure it for the big units. Definitely different than the last time I folded a year ago, unless I'm just looking over something.
Great thing with this sandy bridge is I can have the usage to 100% and still be able to play my games without any lag. Am I able to run my gpu off of this v7 f@h client? Anything to help!

Press, you need a "8 core" processer to technically run bigadvc.... Basically with out a tpf of under 58min, you get no bonuses. You only have 4 cores and no HT cores.

Heat is a non issue if your systems properly overclocked/cooled... I run 2 gpu and my cpu on smp 7, with temps under 80C cpu, 85C gpu. My room temps warm at 28C/80F.

Yes you can run the gpu on it, infact its the only way to get a use out of an AMD/ATI card. Though to run most efficiently, you'll want to not run the smp at 4.. smp 3 will be best due to ati/amd use 1 core to run.

I haven't used v7 yet, ensure you set unit size to big to get smp, aa fahcore_a3 units. AND you need 10 units before the nice bonus kicks in.. bouut 4 days for a 2500k.

Yup your system that makes gaming smooooth, I run v6 and have no lagging, but do turn my gpu off whn gaming.

Oh jeez, that's what I get for setting it all up before going to bed. I'll make the changes when I get home. Do I need to download a new client if I choose to fold my 5770?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom