need help

exfoxs28

Solid State Member
how can i transfer the files in win 7 to my external hard drive .. cuz i'm going to try to format my laptop using external hard drive.

Are you able to boot into Win7? Or can you not boot?

If you can boot into the OS... then just plug in your external and copy them over.

if you can't boot... then you have 2 options, IMO:
1) Remove your HDD and put it in an external enclosure, and plug it and your other external HDD into the computer you're using now (if it's a different computer).
2) Burn a Linux LiveCD to a disc, boot off of it, plug your external HDD into the computer, and copy files over via the LiveCD interface.

yes i can boot the cd in my another laptop...

how can i copy them?? i'm going to open it and copy all the files??

are you wanting to COPY your files, or clone your hard drive... there is a big difference. If you want to copy your back files, media, docs, etc... then just drag and drop the files onto the external, but if you want to boot from it. that would be different.

Does your laptop have a recovery partition on it? Why not just save the stuff you want, then let the recovery bring the laptop back to factory specs without having to go through all the mess of an external boot drive? This option is usually much easier.

i dont need the files in my laptop anymore..i just want to format it using my external hard drive.. how can i able to boot it to my laptop?

Forgive me for asking this, but why do you want to FORMAT a drive that is already in your computer, with an EXTERNAL drive that you want to COPY all the files from the INTERNAL computer to? that makes no sense. If you don't need the files anymore, then just use the recovery option if it has one. Wouldn't that be much easier?

But just copying the Windows OS files to an external doesn't always work. I know that some .dll files sometimes will not transfer over, making it essentially useless to boot from. Or if you try to use the external to boot another machine that is not hardware compatible will not work either. The OS has to recognize all the parts in order to work properly, and in most cases it will not work.

Back
Top Bottom