Need help w/ Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanLedet

In Runtime
Ok our objective is to get documents to print on our printer in the main office....This printer is hooked up to a wireless print server, and that print server is hooked up to a computer. So far, that computer is the only one we can get to print anything.

We have WiFi and I'm able to come in here with my lapt top and connect...So, I'm on the network, so how do I print documents from my computer?

The next thing we're having trouble with is printing from a computer that is miles away...not even on the network. How do we get that computer to print to the printer in here? We've done it once before, and now can't remember how we did it...

In a Windows workgroup, you would have to be in the same workgroup and IP subnet in order to print to another computer holding the printer. ItÂ’s different when the printer is a network printer, connected with Ethernet cable and an IP assigned to it.

In order to print over the Internet, you could setup a print server with Internet Printing Protocol (IPP).

Using the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP)
Windows XP Professional computers can connect to printers that are attached to Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows .NET Server print servers by using a Web browser and a URL, instead of connecting via the GUI or via the command line using a UNC path. IPP works over a corporate intranet or through an Internet connection. IPP gives users the ability to print over an Internet connection. IIS version 5 or later must be running on the print server computer. You can enter one of two available URLs into your Web browser:
• http://print_server_name/printers—This address connects you to the Web page for the Printers And Faxes folder on the Windows XP print server computer (however, fax devices are not displayed in the browser window).
• http://print_server_name/printer_share_name—This address connects you to the Web page for the print queue folder for the printer that you specify, as shown in Figure 3.20

Alright i just cannot figure it out. I've called their customer support and can't understand a word. the manual says the following:

Client Side
You will need to perform WindowÂ’s standard Add
New Printer procedure. To do this, select the
“Network Printer” setting as shown in the screen
below and click “Next.”

Select “Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a
home or office network” and enter the URL of your
HWPS12UG print server. The URL format will be
“http:// IP:631/LPT_PORT”.

The IP portion of the URL
will be the print serverÂ’s IP address. LPT_PORT is
the port name of your print server that your print er is
connected to. For one port print servers, the port
name will be “ lpt1”. For Hawking’s three-port print
server, the port names are – lpt1, lpt2 or lpt3
depending on which printer port your printers are
connected to. (Please write down the printer port
and corresponding printer model for configuring our
line of multiple port print servers.) The last number
you will need to write down after the port name and
colon will be 631. 631 is the IPP standard port
number for IPP printing requests . An example IP
address will be modeled as follows: The URL will
be http://192.168.12.13:631/lpt 1 for a print server located
on the first printer port (lpt1) of the IP address
192.168.12.13. (lpt2 and lpt3 for printers located on
the 2nd and 3rd ports respectively.) After entering the
URL of print server, click “ Next” and complete the
remaining configuration settings to access the shared
network printer.

I have carefully followed these instructions with no luck. I went to the print server admin to get the IP and put it in exactly as said...check out the picture.

Attachments

• ip2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 29
Ok i've managed to get past that...now for printing documents from another computer, off the network.

We are usually in our main office here, and we do a remote connect to the computer that's in another location. We once were able to simply File > Print and it print to the printer in the main office...for some reason it stopped working. So your instructions were a bit over my head...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom