Need advice about harassment at work

krazyq

krazy Techie
Hey guys,
It looks like I'm always with a problem here doesn't it...
Well this is about my wife.
I need some opinions.
So my wife works in IT with a bunch of guys, her manager is a jerk and is really demanding and rude.
SHe takes the bus to work.
She does hardware/software testing.
She got assigned apps that require her to go to remote positions all around the city.
She told her manager she can't do that because she takes the bus and the manager said that's not his problem, that she has to find a way.
Btw my wife doesn't have her license and they knew this.
There are other people on the team but for some reason they assigned all the remote apps to her.

So this is when her boss started ****ing me off.
He started giving smart ass remarks in front of everyone saying , "Who doesn't have their license in this generation"
Today in a one on one meeting he said the following.
"I don't think you're ever going to find a professional job like this. You're just a pretty face, but you don't have the experience of working a professional job"

I couldn't bare hearing that...like wtf!

Do they have a right to speak that way to her? It never mentioned in the job description anywhere that it required her to travel plus she's probably the best tester they have right now, she's already trained a few people over there.

What do you guys think we should do?
Have her not say anything and let it go which is what she wants to do, she doesn't wanna deal with it.
She's feels like they've been trying to get her fired for a sometime already and they keep pushing her.
Thanks for reading

Not doing anything is allowing it to continue.

There are expectations that are set for the job and if she is meeting those expectations they cannot hold her accountable for something that is not expected of her. Get with someone in HR and let them know what her boss said as well as the issue of harassment and discrimination and the feeling that they're pressuring her into getting fired or quitting out of stress. That would be the most professional way to deal with the issue and the way that is likely to yield the best results.

If he is aggressive just be aware to never talk back or provoke him into becoming violent or taking extremes. That means you would be included in the slander and could be considered harassment against him if you talk back or participate. If you're scared he'll do something violent or give her a harder time than she's currently having if he finds out that she said something to HR then make the call anonymously (if her company has that).

Last edited:
I did tell her that if she doesn't say anything he will continue to do this to someone else.
Reporting this anonymously won't work because she's the only girl there and he will know it's her.
She's scared of what will happen next after reporting it.

1 - They could fire her or
2 - It would be weird at work, like he could try doing something else to get her fired

When you work in IT you never stop looking for work. That's just smart. After dealing with the same situation myself, I can pretty much tell you it'll never stop. She can go to HR but if they don't give him a good enough scolding or fire him the harrassment can get worse. But, if she does get fired for something like travel and they have ON PAPER she doesn't have her license then that's unlawful termination. You can sue over that.

But, if she does get fired for something like travel and they have ON PAPER she doesn't have her license then that's unlawful termination. You can sue over that.

Or, rather than suing, collect unemployment while in search for another job

If she has a cell phone, have her turn on the video to record, she might not be able to get a view but she can still get the audio. Post the audio on you tube

Or, rather than suing, collect unemployment while in search for another job
Better option would be attorney general or equivalent entity because it's a business issue that (knowing their heritage) is going to be based on profiling and racism. I know a lot aren't like me, but I don't sit back and get my butt spanked when I did nothing wrong. Joe's idea is good to grab the proof.

I spoke to her about this and gave her options, told her I'd support anything.
I don't think she wants to do anything, her project may be done in a month and she just wants to get out of there.
If she speaks to HR, she's just scared of what may happen after, whether they fire her, or having to speak with the manager. I told her to think about it.
We've written down the date and time the event occurred.
Recording it might be tough however I think I'll have her to an audio recording if she's going to have another one on one meeting.

There's a stigma attached to whistle blowers.
If it were to go viral on You Tube, she would embarrass the co so badly they'd go out of their way to correct by firing the manthingager

She said she'll hold off and if he says one more thing she'll go ahead and report it.

Once she reports it, it will be interesting what happens, we really don't wanna deal with the whole lawyer thing, I do not wanna go threw all that, seems so stressful

Back
Top Bottom