My computer did a chkdisk the other day and now i'm missing files

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckman341

In Runtime
To start the story I was running the Nvidia NTUNE thing to see what it would do. I let it run overnight. Sidenote: I'm not even sure this program does anything, at least nothing seems to be changed.

Anyways, when I restarted my computer in the morning Windows immediately went into chkdisk before loading windows. Not sure why it would do that. It scrolled too fast for me to really read anything but there were a lot of "missing index" things scrolling by. I am now finding a lot of files on my computer that are 0 KB.

What I'm wondering is if chkdisk would cause that due to some problem with file indexes? I'm also wondering if a log is kept somewhere that I could check. I'm sort of stumbling over files here and there that are 0KB but I'd like to know for sure what files I've lost and why.

Thanks for any advice.

Do the files have the extension *.chk ? Those I believe are files that chkdisk makes in trying to recover / reallocate files. Part of the process.

Check Disk wouldnt have corrupted the files. IF anything it was trying to fix them after they were corrupted but wasnt able to which is why they have 0KB file size.
nTune is for flashing the Video card BIOS if i am not mistaken.

Nope it is a optimization program.

NVIDIA nTune

NVIDIA nTune Performance Application
Enables one of the safest and easiest ways to automatically optimize your PC. nTune automatically detects the application running and dynamically optimizes the PC settings. Faster than tuning by hand, nTune delivers optimal settings for bus speeds, HyperTransport, memory timings, CPU registers, fans, and voltages in a safe, easy-to-use Microsoft® Windows® interface. Provides the ability to overclock system settings without entering the BIOS or changing hardware jumpers.

So easily this could have corrupted your files. Anything that messes with the OS files for things like the CPU registers and that from within Windows can be very dangerous. Epically if it doesnt work right.

I would check for a restore point before you ran that program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom