Multiple instances of Thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrestcupp

Daemon Poster
Thunderbird will only let you have one instance open at a time. On my Win7 setup, I have 2 user profiles (Windows, not Thunderbird) that I use for different purposes, and I switch back and forth between the two frequently. I would like to be able to have Thunderbird open at the same time in both users using the same Thunderbird profile.

I found a way to force Thunderbird to allow multiple instances using the -no-remote argument, but you have to be using different profiles. Does anyone know of a way to get it to do what I'm wanting?

If anyone cares, I found a solution. It's impossible to have two instances of the same profile open, but I figured out a workaround that satisfies me.

I just created two separate Thunderbird profiles, one for each Windows user. Then I set each profile up to access the same email accounts, using IMAP instead of POP so the messages stay on the server. This way, I can use the -no-remote switch because they're separate profiles, but I can still access the same email accounts and stay in sync. I put the -no-remote in my Thunderbird shortcut, so it just does that automatically now. So it ends up being pretty much what I wanted, just a different way of getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom