Multiple Antivirus programs?

Mario Eats BK

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

So I know I haven't posted something in a while but I was just thinking to myself, is it good to have multiple antiviruses programs? By multiple I mean like two. I know it's possible but is it a good idea? Is it worth the shot. I'm really scared that my computer gets a virus so I just want to have extra protection. The current AV I'm using is Avast. It Has worked pretty good on me but I still don't completely trust it. So what do you guys think, whats your opinion?

Thanks ;)

It is not a good idea. The reason is this.

If you have 2 installed and operating at the same time, then when you go to scan a file, they both will scan. One could find the file to be safe, the other might not. That creates a conflict and the system wont know what to do. So it just lets the file go since there is no clear cut direction on what to do. This leaves you open to infection since the file could be bad and end up infecting you.

Even if you leave one disabled it doesnt do you any good. What is the point of having a second AV installed if it isnt active? Avast is a good AV. It is higher rated than Norton or Mcafee.

So is there any other way my computer can be in a safer protection plan? lol, what i meant is if there is any other way it can be safer?

Installing MBAM (Malwarebytes Antimalware) to work in conjunction with Avast is about the only real solution. They have a free version but it doesnt offer real time protection so you would have to schedule it to scan weekly to make sure that nothing got past Avast. Other than that just dont go to dodgy sites. Using things like Site Advisor or WOT (Web of Trust) can assist you with such tasks. They will inform you that the website you are about to go to is known for having bad content.

Best thing you can do is be intelligent about the internet. As KSoD said, doing go to shady site and NEVER EVER download anything unless you know it is a legit site and you know what you are downloading.

Run an AV with realtime scanning like Avast!, AVG or my favorite Microsoft Security Essentials. Run a full scan once a week. Also in conjunction run malwarebytes or spybot. Both are quality malware detection programs.

I use 3 but you have to make sure they are compatible. i use Kaspersky, Superantispyware, and Malwarebytes. i also run hijack this sometimes. so that seems to work really well. and i always have more that i dont run unless i feel like it may have one. sometimes they pick up different things or move files that another doesn't witch causes the others AV's to be able to pick it up. Hope this helped.

Agree with KSoD. I currently have MB(Malwarebytes) and avast free. As far as browsing goes, stick with Firefox, on my Firefox I have WOT web of trust and Avast also has a web scanner. Another thing I have protecting my system is a software firewall. I use it to deflect hackers when I'm on public access points, but at the same time, it lets me know what programs are accessing the internet. Worst comes to worst, someone attempts to hijack your computer, the firewall will popup and ask if you want to deny/allow the connection, and using common sense if you don't recognize the connection, simply click deny. Attached is what the popups look like.
imgres

Hope it helped!

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes (I manually scan with it once a week or so) for the main malware stuff, and Spybot Search and Destroy to get rid of spyware and iffy cookies.

Back
Top Bottom