Multiboot in a reversed way

BadDisciple

Baseband Member
Hello,

I know for multiboot one should FIRST have installed the older Windows version then the new one. But I already have Windows 7 installed on my new machine and I want to install the good old XP on a partition. But there's no way to uninstall WIndows 7! And when I try to do it through the XP installation disc, it goes to a blue screen in awhile and freezes up. So, IS THERE ANY known way to overcome that situation, or I must opt for buying a separated HD and install XP on it?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

BD

Last edited:
What BSOD are you receiving when you boot off of the XP disc? You probably need SATA drivers for your motherboard. You'll need to find the right SATA drivers, and either have a floppy disc handy, or slipstream them into a new XP disc, using nLite.

You can install the older OS after the newer one; you'll just have to manually add Win7 to the bootloader using something like EasyBCD.

What BSOD are you receiving when you boot off of the XP disc? You probably need SATA drivers for your motherboard. You'll need to find the right SATA drivers, and either have a floppy disc handy, or slipstream them into a new XP disc, using nLite.

You can install the older OS after the newer one; you'll just have to manually add Win7 to the bootloader using something like EasyBCD.

The BSoD says "a problem detected and windows shut down and it suggests to run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption.
Technical information:
STOP: 0x0000007B ( 0xF78D2524, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000 )"

I've got two SATA drives. I've got no floppy drive on that machine. The drivers have been installed in Win 7 as they show everything else - but do you mean that XP doesn't recognize them? So I must find the drivers on the Net and "slipstream them into a new XP disc" - that's something I'll try to do for a first time in life. (I'm a musician and all my computer "literacy" is just that of experience).

The BSoD says "a problem detected and windows shut down and it suggests to run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption.
Technical information:
STOP: 0x0000007B ( 0xF78D2524, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000 )"

I've got two SATA drives. I've got no floppy drive on that machine. The drivers have been installed in Win 7 as they show everything else - but do you mean that XP doesn't recognize them? So I must find the drivers on the Net and "slipstream them into a new XP disc" - that's something I'll try to do for a first time in life. (I'm a musician and all my computer "literacy" is just that of experience).

Drivers being installed on another OS have nothing to do with installing XP.

You need the HDD/SATA drivers for the motherboard for XP, so that XP setup can recognize the drives. Otherwise, you get either a message about no HDD's detected, or a BSOD (like you did).

So, you'll need to find the drivers for you motherboard (if you post the brand/model here, we can help), boot into your Win7 install so you can recreate an XP disc with nLite ( nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation ... you'll also need a blank CD or DVD to burn the new ISO onto). Then you open nLite, put your XP disc in your drive tray, let it extract the contents of the disc to a temp location, and choose to add additional drivers to the disc. Then you can re-burn the XP disc (with the drivers loaded onto it, or "slipstreamed"), boot off of it, and it should be able to detect the HDD.

Also xp isn't likely to support ahci HDD mode selected in bios which 7 does so if you have ahci mode set in bios xp isn't going to work sata drivers or not

Also xp isn't likely to support ahci HDD mode selected in bios which 7 does so if you have ahci mode set in bios xp isn't going to work sata drivers or not

Yes it will. That's what the SATA drivers are for: for AHCI mode support.

Otherwise if you put it to Legacy or IDE mode, XP should recognize it fine. But then the Win7 install could possibly have issues.

Drivers being installed on another OS have nothing to do with installing XP.

You need the HDD/SATA drivers for the motherboard for XP, so that XP setup can recognize the drives. Otherwise, you get either a message about no HDD's detected, or a BSOD (like you did).

So, you'll need to find the drivers for you motherboard (if you post the brand/model here, we can help), boot into your Win7 install so you can recreate an XP disc with nLite ( nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation ... you'll also need a blank CD or DVD to burn the new ISO onto). Then you open nLite, put your XP disc in your drive tray, let it extract the contents of the disc to a temp location, and choose to add additional drivers to the disc. Then you can re-burn the XP disc (with the drivers loaded onto it, or "slipstreamed"), boot off of it, and it should be able to detect the HDD.

That sounds smashingly useful to me. Thanks for the info.
And here is my MoBo: Asus sAM3+ Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

You also really ought to consider virtualization. With Windows 7 you can install Windows Virtual PC and install Windows XP in a virtual environment without any need to worry about corrupting your Boot Configuration Database (BCD) and restoring it to Windows 7 compatible or the vulnerability of an exposed Windows XP environment with native access to your Windows 7 disk and data.

If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise, you can even install Windows XP Mode which uses Windows Virtual PC to provide a licensed Windows XP Professional SP3 environment.

Either way, you should also consider that Windows XP is no longer supported and therefore is vulnerable. With a virtual environment, you can take some steps to isolate it, such as denying internet access and, with more advanced virtualization like Client Hyper-V in Windows 8, you can create snapshots of a “clean” environment which can be restored to if the environment becomes infected or corrupted.

Otherwise, when you get the F6 drivers for AHCI as CarnageX has been describing, you will need to run BootRec /RebuildBCD from Windows RE (such as “Repair Your PC” from the installation media) to repair the overwritten BCD and detect the two operating systems so that you can boot to each. Instructions are provided here from Microsoft Support.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
The Springboard Series on TechNet

Back
Top Bottom