MSN virus

Skorpian

In Runtime
Hello. sup TF people.
Today a new issue, a friend of mines on MSN who has been infected with an MSN virus has had a message sent to me. It's " hahaha foto 'link here' " virus. Since he was always problemish in writing, I opened that link ( IDK why ever I did that ). it showed a facebook link where it said photo moved and I clicked view photo. Downloads started popping up on Internet Download manager. I cancelled all of them ( they were like 3 or 4 ) and then went on the internet and searched for 2 mins.
When I found nothing informative, I went an did a system restore of a restore which was made 12 hours ago. Everything seems cool but I'm afraid I'm still infected and still sending out viruses.
Anyway to check and remove MSN viruses? I'll run an Avast! Free scan then a malwarebytes scan. Anything else?

As well as Avast and Malwarebytes, run Spybot Search & Destroy, link is in my sig.

Thanks. ComboFix not needed?
Sorry this is offtopic but can you recommend me a good fast defragging software? I use power defragmenter 3.0, is there something better?
EDIT : Sorry I've noticed another problem since I've done the system restore. Once I try to press backspace on windows live messenger on place where you type text and there's not text there, the laptop beeps from the speakers. This happens with also programs which have such thing as r u sure you want to exit the program.
For example utorrent, when I right click it on taskbar and click exit, a confirmation message appears and laptop beeps. tHat never happened before. What's wrong?

Thanks. ComboFix not needed?
It might not be needed but there's probably no harm in giving it a go.

Sorry this is offtopic but can you recommend me a good fast defragging software? I use power defragmenter 3.0, is there something better?
Defraggler is my favourite de-fragmentation software, the link is in my sig :)

EDIT : Sorry I've noticed another problem since I've done the system restore. Once I try to press backspace on windows live messenger on place where you type text and there's not text there, the laptop beeps from the speakers. This happens with also programs which have such thing as r u sure you want to exit the program.
For example utorrent, when I right click it on taskbar and click exit, a confirmation message appears and laptop beeps. tHat never happened before. What's wrong?
What OS are you on? Presumably Windows, but XP, Vista or 7?

Anyway, looks like you've learned your lesson; don't open random spam links :p

Yep I learned it. But I heard that combofix destroyed someone's files ( I saw a post of it on another website ) and he could find nothing of his important files. So I won't use it if I don't find any issues
How can I confirm that I'm not infected any more?
XP, I guess it's possibly normal, it happens on my PC but it makes a different beeping sound. This is my laptop, maybe different speakers = different beeps?

It is NEVER recommended to run Combofix unless you are suggested to by someone who knows how the program operates and knows how to read its logs. It says so right on the guide on how to use it.

A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix

You should not run ComboFix unless you are specifically asked to by a helper. Also, due to the power of this tool it is strongly advised that you do not attempt to act upon any of the information displayed by ComboFix without supervision from someone who has been properly trained. If you do so, it may lead to problems with the normal functionality of your computer.

So that person that said it destroyed their files must have been acting on their own accord. I will add if those files are so important, why are they not backed up? Important files should never just be stored where they are mainly used. Cause you never know the health of the machine and should always be backed up in case of an emergency. So that person failed in more ways than one and just placed the blame on the tool when they failed to do what is recommended and should be done with such files.

How can you confirm your not infected? Read our guide:

Spyware Asylum

Post your logs where it says to and myself or someone who is authorized will tell you if they are clean or not.

Thanks, Mak. You're always very helpful. So you say I should only use hijackthis and make a scan and post logs.
Also I installed spybot, updated and scanned. it found some stuff. I shall click fix selected entires right? No harm could be possibly done by it right?
Yeah one more question sorry, during installation of spybot, I unticked installing TeaTimer and other resident shield called immunize I think shall I install them? I'm just afraid they take too much ram I have only 768 mb. And on immunize tab in spybot, shall I click immunize to protect the unprotected stuff?
Thanks for all the help so far.
Cheers,
Skorpian

You can run MBAM. Just use caution when running Combofix. It isnt a tool to take lightly.

I would leave the TeaTimer and that off if you have such a low amount of RAM. You really dont have to leave it running at all times, just scan once a week. Set a reminder or schedule a task for it to run so that you save yourself the resources.

I used MBAM and it found nothing.
Just in case, I did scan with spybot and it found some stuff in Red. I should select fix right? No possibility of issues?
Also in immunize tab in spybot, shall I click on fix all ( considering I don't want anymore background apps )?
Last question, shall I bother with eset online scanner or not needed?
Thanks again Mac
Cheers,
Skorpian.

I havent run Spybot in years. So i dont know what you mean by it shows stuff in Red. Check their site for information about that tool. I dont know much about Spybot anymore as i dont deem it necessary to use. The tools we have in place here and on Spyware Asylum are more than sufficient to keep me clean along with the protection i have set in place. So i dont install other tools i dont need. You will have to see if Yami can answer the Spybot related questions since he suggested it or go to their site directly for answers.

If MBAM found nothing then running the Eset online scanner wont really net you any results. You can post a HJT log and I can check it over. But at most you might just have a infected Toolbar that MBAM didnt catch.

Back
Top Bottom