MSI GX620 Laptop - No Display, but still boots up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had exactly the same thing happen to my GX620 yesterday.

I've noticed a squeeking noise from the back for the past week or so, but i had assumed it was the hard drive about to fail...

Slight difference - my external monitor still functions. I had the laptop hooked up to an external and used dual screens, and then while using it bam the main laptop screen died while watching a dvd on it, and surfing on the external.

I called MSI and am they are going to arrange a courier to pick it up from me and then will fix/return it. I'm in canberra, so unfortunatley the nearest service centre is sydney. Anyway, good to hear its fixable.

Did you have any problems with losing data from your HD when you got your laptop back? I want to know how much i should back up my data before sending it off.

No. Data was still there and they did not even mind that i downgraded to Window XP. In fact one of the techs was commenting a lot of people are rolling back to windows xp. Companies like HP or Acer would have a hissy fit at me.

Personally, like any computer going into service, I would back up any thing that is important if you still can.

How old is your MSI? Did you purchase your one resently or have you had yours for about 6 months or so.
I think they are using a newer generation of 9600 video card. Reason is when I boot up the computer, the bios is showing a completely different set of numbers and letters. Before hand, at I remember it read 9600GT. Now it's different. However windows is still picking it up as a Geforce M 9600 and my game play is still good.

They where able to fix it up rather quickly for me. I was able to drop it off with them one day and pick it up the next. It does not look like the techs have too much RMA work to do down there.

Try to get them to change the video card and not just upgrade the BIOS.

Also make sure you pack up your notebook well. MSI terms and conditions clearly states that they will not cover any damage cause via courier when sending good back to them.

You running windows Vista or did you roll back to Xp?

Hmm well i got my laptop back - service is great, but some serious problems still...

They collected the laptop off me last monday, and i packed it well etc etc. I got it back on friday, so the speed etc was awesome.

However, they wiped my HD. After i specifically indicated on the paperwork DON'T touch the HD. The laptop woudln't boot, so i coudn't get anything off the drive, and the guy on the phone said if i remove the warranty sticker and take the drive out myself to get data off, i'll void warranty and have to pay for the service, but that i can indicate on the paperwork to NOT touch the HD. FFS.

Additionally, the paperwork says they replaced the LCD panel. Now, my native res won't go any higher than 1280*800. I don't have teh 1680*1050 that i am used to, and after having tried several different display driver packages, i am convinced they in fact replaced my screen with a lesser quality of screen - and it physically can't display up to what it should!

So whilst i was happy with the speed of the service, it seems the attention to detail is SEVERLY lacking. I lost SO much stuff from my HD, because they can't read a piece of paper ffs. And was in a position where i had NO choice but to not back it up.

And no, i've kept the machine running with vista. I purchased it back in Dec 08. The display seems to be the same, the service papers said they changed 3 things: Swap LCD panel, Swap Fan, Update BIOS (which is what did my HD in...).

That sux.

Sounds like they put cheaper screen on your notebook. I have found out a few days ago that in the USA there are 2 models of the GX620. One comes with the WXGA 1280*800 display and another with a WXGA+ 1680*1050 display.

I would be contacting MSI complaining about who you were unable to get the higher resolutions that you where getting previously.

I would be also giving MSI heaps about the warranty stickers and their views on removing the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom