MS Word XP takes forever to open document

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the other componants of Office works fine.

This is how i could tell. It isnt that i disagree or am trying to argue. Just by the process of elimination it would have to be XP. Last time i tried Office XP on Vista it didnt throw errors but was slow like you said. That is how i knew with the complaints of just 1 app that it has to be XP. :happy:

Firstly, it's my co worker that is working on this problem
When it he was over there last, he formated the hard drive and reinstalled Win Xp and Office 2003. Every thing working fine until rescently.
Now this problem as showed it's ugly head again.

How much RAM does the computer have, is it old?

1Gb Ram. Machine is brand new.

How big is the file he is trying to open? Big files on old computers.... take ages with word.

Just getting word to open by itself is a problem. Let alone other documents.

Does it take 5 minutes to open word if just opening a new document?
Yes.

Mak;
I got office 2k to install fine on vista it just ran slow! I didnt have to jump through any hoops to do it either....

To see if its the file or office try OpenOffice.org Download it reads all Micro$oft office file formats
As much as I would love to install Open Office, it's not a solution for me.

Also out of all the computer that are there, this is the only computer that seems to have this problem.

Office XP wont install on Vista. Not compatible. Office 2003 and Office 2007 are the only ones compatible with Vista. So it has to be XP.

It's MS Office Xp on MS Windows Xp.

4 Formats and 2 replacement computers later.......

Okay, at least 4 formats and 2 replacement computers later................

Last night, my co-worker dropped the computer back with me and I spent the good part of the afternoon removing the programs that were installed on this PC until I could open the a word document with out it crashing.

Found the problem...........................

F**KING NERO F**KING 7 F**KING SCOUT!
Now I have seen Nero Scout do some stange behavor before. However this is the first time have every seen it act this violently.

Now on my test machine, i was found it was nero scout. However when i was back on site, I needed to remove the entire program. I think there is some linked between Mapped hard drives and Nero 7 Essensals that seems to be causing this mess on this site.

Un-installed Nero 7 Essessials and installed Ulead Burn Now instead.

Every thing seems to be happy now.

I wonder if taking Nero Scout off from the Windows Explorer would help resolve this. I know that Nero Scout shows up when you open Computer. (My Computer)

But there is a option to remove it under preferences. At least from Explorer. I wonder if that is a way to get past this.

I have Nero 7 installed but i dont have this issue cause i dont install Scout or use it. I remove it from Explorer and dont associate any files with it.

Maybe that is why i couldnt reproduce this. Something else to look into.

Glad it is sorted though.

I only install Burning Rom, Vision, InCD, and Recode. Everything else i leave out.

I always make sure I deleted the .dll's for Nero Scout and Nero Search if I installed Nero.

I made a .bat to try and automate the removal of that crap. I haven't tested to see if it works though:
Code:
@Echo OFF
taskkill /im NMBgMonitor.exe /f
del %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe /q
taskkill /im NMIndexingService.exe /f
del %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe /q
taskkill /im NMIndexStoreSvr.exe /f
del %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe /q
regsvr32 /u /s %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll
del %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll /q
regsvr32 /u /s %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Ahead\Lib\NeroSearchTray.dll
del %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Ahead\Lib\NeroSearchTray.dll /q