MS Word XP takes forever to open document

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I have a client that still uses MS Office Xp. All the other componants of Office works fine. However MS Word can take about 5 minutes to open up a word document that is stored locally on the hard drive. Things like Excel and Power Point opens up fine.

We have all ready re-installed Operating System.
Any other suggestions?

How much RAM does the computer have, is it old?

How big is the file he is trying to open? Big files on old computers.... take ages with word.

Does it take 5 minutes to open word if just opening a new document?

Could be that the document is partially corrupted. Could be the size that affects it.

Is it Windows vista or xp? I have noticed Word 2k and XP load very slow in vista. The only solution i found was to upgrade to office 2k3.

Before opening Word check the processes in the device manager. See if there is a WINWORD process running w/o Word open. I've found that with some applications they won't close fully, causing issue on the next open. Sonic, Excel, and Word all do this from time to time on different machines. It doesn't make it to where the program won't open, just takes longer sometimes.

Weird i know, just try it out.

Office XP wont install on Vista. Not compatible. Office 2003 and Office 2007 are the only ones compatible with Vista. So it has to be XP.

Mak;
I got office 2k to install fine on vista it just ran slow! I didnt have to jump through any hoops to do it either....

To see if its the file or office try OpenOffice.org Download it reads all Micro$oft office file formats

I bet you did. I am sure i could get Office 95 to install on Vista if i tried. But running it is a different story. You said yourself that it ran slow. They are only having issues with Word. If it was Office XP on Vista they would all run slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom