Mplayer & Mencoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncjimn

In Runtime
I used the windows version of mencoder to rip a dvd and make it a mpeg4 movie.

since i'm new to mencoder, i did not change the options to get the same aspect ratio as the original.

my file's aspect ratio is 720:480 while the original aspect ratio is 720:540

how do i change this so i don't have egg faces?

also, what options on mencoder do I have to use to make the file playable in WMP or Real player?

mplayer is great, but most people don't have it.

thank you.

in order to play the file in wmp or real player you have to use a codec those players will play

to change the aspect ratio use the -aspect option or the -vf scale option

see the mplayer website and look up the documentation

one thing here about aspect ratios, mplayer is one of the few that actually checks it and will display a file correctly, most do not

to scale the file you have to use the -vf scale=width:height option and that has some options to it as well, -vf scale=720:-2 would set the width to 720 but preserve the h/w ratio and set the width to whatever it would have to be to make it right

now, if your using the windows version of mplayer compiled with cygwin, you dont have as many codecs to work with as you do with linux, it usually only has mpeg4 and xvid.......so in order for wmp to play it, you need those codecs installed for wmp

with mplayer itself you can download the codec package from the mplayer website and put them once bunzipped into the codec directory inside the mplayer directory and it will play almost anything

thanks horndude.

it seems like i have a lot of reading to do, anyway i'll try some of your tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom