Mp3 Players + Suse 9.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont know for sure, sourceforge probably for a source code tarball if you wanna compile it, you will need the toolset to compile stuff from source though cause Suse doesnt come with that either. Best bet is probably an rpm depository somewhere, there are quite a few Im sure. Better take a close look at what exactly is on your system and what your missing first before you start blindly installing stuff.

You should be able to get away with using YaSt I think if you can figure out what its lacking. Might wanna try searching about this at linuxquestions.org, im not a Suse person, I dont like distro's that are rpm based or lacking lots of things right from the start. They work just fine, just take some work to get them to do everything the way I like.

Should be able to try to play an mp3 from command line with the alsaplayer, just type play <filename> or alsaplayer <filename> and see what happens, if it spits out an error about missing a library or unknown file format or something like that, then have a look in what is installed on your system and then search for whats missing.

One of the benefits of command line apps is they spit out actual errors in text format when you run them, makes debugging easier. Most GUI apps can be started from command line as well, they will usually spit out debugging info too. Its a useful trick for stuff like this.

horndude said:
Should be able to try to play an mp3 from command line with the alsaplayer, just type play <filename> or alsaplayer <filename> and see what happens, if it spits out an error about missing a library or unknown file format or something like that, then have a look in what is installed on your system and then search for whats missing.

what do you mean by "have a look in what is installed on your system"? How do I do that? and yes, I've got the error code when using play <file name> command saying cannot read format mp3.

On Suse Im not 100% sure, its has an rpm based package manager. Yast might be able to show whats installed, dont know. There should be some sort of listing in /var/log somewhere.........mine is in /var/log/packages but thats slackware with the pkg system.

rpm istelf might be able to show you, try man rpm in a terminal and see what the man page says about it, I know rpm keeps a database of whats installed so it can resolve dependencies.

other than that, check the Suse website and see what it has in the way of tutorials or help

Im about 90% sure what your lacking is called "libmad" which is an audio mpeg library, but it may be called something else

ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/10.0/i586/mad-0.15.1b-0.i586.rpm

that ^^ may or may not fix it.........it should

install that with rpm -i <filename> (I think) then run ldconfig

do both as root, then try to play an mp3

according to linuxquestions.org you can use Yast to update and install software but I have no clue how to use it or explain that to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom