Moving files and connecting 2 computers, questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD6415

In Runtime
OK so my dads friend owns his own business and to start his old computer is slowly dying lol so he got a new computer and wants all the files on the old one moved over to the new one. I haven't done anything like this before so I'm not real sure the best way to go about it, so a few ideas would be much appreciated. Then he also has a program on the computer in the front to check in customers and things of that sort, he wants the front and the rear computer to use this program and to be able to share files. For this is it as simple as putting an Ethernet cord between them and setting up a network with windows? Again I am not real experienced with this so I'm not real sure the best way to go about this either, so I guess throw me some ideas and if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them or I'll ask him then let you know. Thanks for any help, I would really like to help him with this cause I know if he has the "Geek Squad" or someone like that come in they are gonna probably charge him an arm and a leg.

i would just take out the hard drive of the old computer and plug it up using usb transfer the files that way seems the easiest to me. And sharing the files jut setup the network and do a homegroup with file sharing and your good to go

For the network a crossover cable or the purchase of a network switch or router with standard cat5 cable will get you going. The switch would allow more computers to be added to the network at a later point in time.

It would be fun to move the needed files over the network as a test but in a pinch pulling the drive will work just fine.

I'm not sure but I'm assuming the new PC has 7 and the other computer has Vista is this going to create any issues? Also how do I get the files to to transfer over the easiest? Like can I do them all at once or do I have to do them one at a time or what? I've never done this before so I just wanna get everything clear sorry lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom