Modem/Computer=Connection+Internet..Modem/Router/Computer=Connection/ NO INTERNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

KodokunoTenshi

Solid State Member
Modem/Computer= Connection+Internet..Modem/Router/Computer=Connection/ NO INTERNET

Hi everyone.

My name is Melissa. First time posting.

I'm having a problem with my networking. See, when I have the cable modem connected to my computer, I have a heathy exchange of packets and a good connection. Internet works beautiful.

My problem is that when I put the router in the middle...

Having the CABLE MODEM--ROUTER---COMPUTER a and COMPUTER b...

I have a nice connection and exchange of packets, yet I try to use AIM, IE for Firefox, and nothing happens. They all say either 'www.soandso.com' cannot be found or 'AIM service cannot be reached'

This was working only this morning...

Any suggestions? I am new to all of this networking and computer lingo, so please explain fully.

Thank you!

The router probably isn't configured correctly. Go to a command prompt and type IPCONFIG, post the results here. And what is the make/model of your router?

It was a Toshiba modem with a Netgear router.

My boyfriend simply exchanged it for a Dynex router. Everything is going great! Thank you for the help though. ^_^

Oh, and BASSMASTER...I'm from CT too!

....and then it happens all over again. Two days later, the router stops working. The 1 and 2 are just flashing on the router. Can someone try to explain to me why this is happening? Why are they working fine for abotu 48 hours, then just crapping out?

I am guessing no one has read this in the past few days.

Well, it's interesting. My boyfriend taught me how to run CMD and type in three magic phrases

ipconfig
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Now, it takes a few times. When the internet is not working, there is no text with the specific DNS Suffix. It will look like :

Window IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.: (no text)
IP Address........:1XX.XXX.X.XXX
Subnet Mask.......:2XX.XXX.XXX.X
Default Gateway...:1XX.XX.X.X

And then when I type in ipconfig /release the numbers are 0's and Windows gives me this message:

Local Area Connection

This area connection is experiencing limited or no connectivity...(etc)

I have to then disable, enable the connection, power cycle the router, restart the computer, try it a few more times untill I finally type

ipconfig /renew

and then it will say

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.:ri.cox.net
(etc)

Is there anyway to cut this process down or make it so that I don't have to do this like, every f*****' day? Thanks in advance!

Maybe someone else can chime in here as well, I could be wrong.

It sounds to me like maybe you need to call your ISP and they can give you the DNS server address to manually enter into you TCP/IP settings.

Well, everything will be working fine with the modem/router/computer for a few days, and then it will crash. I'll repeat this process untill the cox.net address is back with the DNS Supplier line when I type IPCONFIG. It will also happen modem to computer. It usually just takes a few tries, and I'll disable and then enable the connection when I am switching from router to computer and modem to computer. Sometimes I'll disable the connection, power cycle and then release and renew and that will work. I'm really not sure what it is!

Thank you for your help though guys. I appreciate it alot!

#1 Physical connection: Check your ethernet wires and make sure you are using all straightthrough UTP wire. Check the cable wire to the modem, make sure that the cable wire are not split to many time else you will lose signal during peak hour. Take the cable modem connect it to the begining of the cable wire and then connect your router and computer and see what happens. You can try and switch port, try using the other ports that aren't used on the router.

The number one problem with cable internet are it's physical connection. Many customer will experience signal degradation, during peak hour, usually in the afternoon to the evening when the usuage of cable is high and because cable is share among your neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom