MMC Explaniation

Status
Not open for further replies.

microsoftne

In Runtime
MMC - Microsoft Management Console
A comment I frequently hear is users wishing there was one central location where they could go to perform the majority of the administrative tasks that are a part of life with a computer. Just remembering all the locations where these tasks can be accomplished is no small feat in itself. Microsoft must be keeping it a secret or user curiosity isn't what it once was, but such a place does exist; Microsoft Management Console. In Microsoft's own words, "Microsoft Management Console (MMC) hosts administrative tools that you can use to administer networks, computers, services, and other system components." That's all well and good, but what does it mean in real life? Basically, it means that you can create a customized set of tools and group them in a 'console' that is easily accessible without having to search through different locations to find one particular setting or group of settings.

Microsoft Management Console Basics
The first thing to understand is that a Microsoft Management Console is a host for an administrative tool called a snap-in. A snap-in is actually an Active-X module that is used to perform a specific function, but without a snap-in a console is useless. It's sole purpose is as an application to hold the snap-ins you select and provide a mechanism for them to become functional. Each console is created from either a single snap-in or combination of snap-ins. Once a basic console has been created it's up to you to add snap-ins appropriate to the intended use of the console. To illustrate, use the Run command in Start Menu to open the Event Viewer Console (eventvwr.msc) and the Computer Management Console (compmgmt.msc). The Event Viewer Console will contain only the event viewer snap-in. The Computer Management Console also contains the same event viewer snap-in under the category System Tools. A comparison of Event Viewer in both locations will show they contain identical data. The event viewer snap-in can be used by itself to construct a single purpose console, or as a component part of a multiple purpose console such as Computer Management. Whether one snap-in or multiple snap-ins are used, once they are added to the host and saved with a .msc extension it becomes a functional Microsoft Management Console.

I mentioned the Event Viewer and Computer Management consoles. Both are pre-configured consoles that come with Windows XP. In addition there are quite a few others that are standard issue with XP. I've listed them in the table below with their everyday name and the file name that is used to launch them using the [Start] [Run] command.

Certificates certmgr.msc
Indexing Service ciadv.msc
Computer Management compmgmt.msc
Device Manager devmgmt.msc
Disk Defragmenter dfrg.msc
Disk Management diskmgmt.msc
Event Viewer eventvwr.msc
Shared Folders fsmgmt.msc
Group Policy gpedit.msc
Local Users and Groups lusrmgr.msc
Removable Storage ntmsmgr.msc
Removable Storage Operator Requests ntmsoprq.msc
Performance perfmon.msc
Resultant Set of Policy rsop.msc
Local Security Settings secpol.msc
Services services.msc
Windows Management Infrastructure (WMI) wmimgmt.msc
Component Services comexp.msc

As you can see from the table the pre-configured consoles that come with XP cover a wide array of tasks and services. Does it really make sense to create custom consoles when all of these are already available? Actually, it does. It's unlikely that any of the pre-configured consoles will precisely match the tasks you are faced with on a regular basis. Modifying the pre-configured consoles or creating new ones allows precise tailoring of the console to a specific task or group of tasks. This can eliminate having to move between different locations to accomplish tasks while helping to prevent overlooking parts of a specific task. In situations where administrative tasks are performed by multiple users, creating custom consoles related only to the specific task they perform lessens the chance of error or accessing areas that should remain unavailable. Additionally, since some consoles can be configured to administer remote as well as local computers, customizing a console can restrict access when required.

Launching A Microsoft Management Console
As shown in the table above, Microsoft Management Consoles use the extension .msc which stands for Microsoft Common Console Document (MCCD). By default, files which use the .msc extension open with the application Microsoft Management Console (MMC). Via the file association, simply clicking on a MCCD opens it in the MMC application. If you are more of a command line type user, typing the document name will accomplish the same result. Either of these methods opens the console in whatever mode it was saved in previously, which leads into the discussion of modes: what is a mode and what modes are available?

A mode as it relates to a Microsoft Management Console is really just another way of defining what type of access is allowed. It's broken down into two basic forms: Author Mode and User Mode, with User Mode being further broken down into three categories; full access, limited access - multiple window, and limited access - single window. Setting modes is accomplished via [File] [Options...] and using the Console Mode drop-down list box. The descriptions of each mode, shown below, were taken directly from the Options Property Sheet in MMC.

Author Mode: Grants users full access to all MMC functionality, including the ability to add or remove snap-ins, create new windows, create taskpad views and tasks, and view all portions of the console tree.
User Mode - Full Access: Grants users full access to all window management commands and to the console tree provided. Prevents users from adding or removing snap-ins or changing console properties.
User Mode - Limited Access, Multiple Window: Grants users access only to the areas of the console tree that were visible when the console was saved. Users can create new windows but cannot close existing windows.
User Mode - Limited Access, Single Window: Grants users access only to the areas of the console tree that were visible when the console was saved. Prevents users from opening new windows.

Included on the Options Property Sheet are two additional options, their availability dependent on which mode was selected. If Author Mode is selected these options are grayed out. They are available for any of the User Mode selections.

Do Not Save Changes To This Console: Allow or deny the user the ability to save changes to the console.
Allow The User To Customize Views: Allow or deny the user the ability to add windows rooted on items in the console.

If it's necessary to run a User Mode console in Author Mode, two alternative methods of opening a console in Author mode are available.

Navigate to the .msc file in Windows Explorer, right click the file and click [Author].

At a command prompt, type yourconsolefilename.msc /a where yourconsolefilename is the name of the console file.

By default, the Computer Management console that is standard in Windows XP opens in User Mode - Full Access. Since this mode does restrict a few options, the screen capture below shows Computer Management Console opened in Author Mode using the first alternative method listed above. It's going to be used as the basis for a discussion of the parts of a console.

I'm not going to go into a ton of detail about the console for this particular article, but a few observations and notes you may find useful are below.

The majority of the consoles are divided vertically into two panes. The left pane is the console tree and the right is the details pane. They can be sized to suit by dragging the divider bar. The detail pane naturally reflects whatever item is selected in the console tree pane.

A standard Windows menu bar, when fully displayed, consists of [File] [Action] [View] [Favorites] [Window] and [Help] sections. The [View] menu contains a [Customize...] option for altering the visible portions of the console.

The Toolbar is directly below the Menu Bar. Its contents will change depending on the selection in the console tree. In the example above, it contains a series of four icons for controlling the Alerter Service that is highlighted in the details pane, allowing it to be started, stopped, paused, or restarted.

Notice in the top of the console tree pane, Computer Management is followed by (Local), indicating that this console is controlling the local computer, or the actual physical computer you are sitting at while working. The majority of the preconfigured XP consoles are set by default to work on the local machine. If a user has the appropriate permissions, consoles can be used to administer remote computers. To change from the local computer to a remote computer, right click on Computer Management (Local) and click [Connect To Another Computer...] to open the Select Computer Property Sheet shown below. If you know the name of the computer, enter it in the box or use the [Browse...] button if you aren't sure of the name.

A console can also be opened to manage a remote computer by using the command line syntax consolename.msc /computer=computername where consolename is the name of the console and computername is the name of the remote computer. One danger of the command line method is trying to open a console that doesn't support remote computer administration. No error message is displayed warning that the console was not able to connect to the intended remote computer. Always check the snap-in in the console tree to verify you are connected to the intended computer.

How you actually work with a console is a matter of personal preference, but the two primary methods are via [Action] on the Menu Bar or using the Context Menu available via a right click on the item either in the tree or details pane. The easiest method, and the one that insures that all available options will be visible, is to use the context menus.

The details pane behaves in a manner consistent with Windows Explorer. Arrange it to suit your working style by rearranging, sizing, sorting and hiding items until it presents the information in a manner suited to your individual taste.

Finally, if you need to export data for use in a different format check the context menu for the [Export] command. Lists can be exported in both tab and comma delimited text file formats.

Building A Custom Microsoft Management Console
Once you've spent some time working with the pre-configured consoles that ship with XP and exploring the options they offer, if you find they suit your work habits and needs, stick with them. However, I suspect that from time to time you're going to wish for one more item here or find and extra item you never use. When that happens, it's time to think about building a custom console exactly suited to your needs.

There are basic steps involved in building a console. I've listed some of the more common items below in two groupings. The first items listed below are absolutely essential to basic console functionality. The second grouping are optional items, used to make your work experience easier or to place restrictions on users access.

The Absolute Essential Items For A MMC
Launch MMC: This creates the basic console which is used for all subsequent operations. To launch MMC and create the console:

Click [Start] [Run], type mmc and click [OK] to create a MMC with no snap-in.

Add A Snap-In To The Console: As I was typing this section I got to thinking about this step. In truth, you don't have to add a snap-in to the console to create it. However, if you don't add a snap-in, the console is useless, so unless you just like opening a bare console and staring at it - well, you get the idea. To add a snap-in to the console:

Click [File] [Add/Remove Snap-In...]
or
Use the [Ctrl+M] key combination to open the Add/Remove Snap-In Property Sheet shown below.

While you are adding the snap-ins, you may encounter items called extensions. Extensions are really nothing more than a sub-snap-in, or a snap-in for a snap-in, if you will. Some snap-ins have all the possible extensions selected by default while others allow adding them selectively. To see if extensions are available, select the snap-in that was added on the Add/Remove Snap-In Property Sheet and click the [Extensions] tab at the top of the sheet. Select the extensions you want to add and click [OK].

Save The Console: From the Menu Bar, click [File] [Save As] and type a name for the console. Bear in mind that the name you use here will appear in the title bar of the console, so unless you like "I Finally Made A Damn Console" as its name, I'd suggest something a bit more descriptive of its intended purpose or use.

That's all there is to it. You've built a custom console and it will be available for your use from this point forward. When I first started using consoles I did exactly what was described above and kept it as a shortcut on my desktop. Whenever I needed to perform a task that involved one of the pre-configured consoles I added the snap-in to my custom console. In very short order I had a custom console tailored to my specific needs. The more you work with consoles you'll come to realize just how useful they are, especially when you develop specialty consoles for other users and unique support situations.

The Optional Items For A MMC
The Console Tree: It's not essential to display the console tree, especially if you use a single purpose console, but in most situations it makes using the console much easier and provides a visual anchor to make navigation easier. The Toolbar contains an icon to toggle the tree on and off which is quite useful with some snap-ins to increase the viewable area in the details pane.

Folders: Imagine what Windows Explorer would be like without an organizational structure of folders and subfolders. It would be a nightmare to navigate and find files. The same holds true for consoles. The Computer Management snap-in is an excellent example of how folders can aid in providing structure to your console as it grows. To add folders to a console:

Click [File] [Add/Remove Snap-In...]
or
Use the [Ctrl+M] key combination to open the Add/Remove Snap-In Property Sheet
Select the parent for the new folder using the [Snap-Ins Added To:] dialog box.
Click [Add] and select [Folder] from the list of snap-ins that is displayed. Click [Add].
Repeat if you want more folders under the same parent, or click [Close] when finished.
Select a new parent folder if you want to add additional subfolders or [OK] to return to the console tree.
Right click each new folder, choose [Rename] and enter an appropriate name.

Taskpad Views: It's much easier to use a taskpad view than it is to describe a taskpad view, but basically it's a separate view of a detail pane of a console. Taskpad views can contain shortcuts located within a console or to items totally removed from the console. The easiest way to look at a taskpad view is to think of it as an interactive help screen with all the associated parts and pieces to perform a task but without any of the extras tossed in that might confuse a user who isn't experienced in using Microsoft Management Consoles. Taskpad views are created using the New Taskpad View Wizard. Select the location in the console tree where you want to create the view, right click and select [New Taskpad View...].

Custom Views: The [Customize...] command is available from the View menu on the Menu Bar. Selecting it will allow you to control all the different visual aspects of the current console. Select the items you find useful and hide the parts of the console that are distracting.

Favorites: The favorites menu in Microsoft Management Console works exactly like favorites in Internet Explorer except it relates to the current console. Click [Favorites] and add the current selection for quick future access to any part of the console. The [Organize Favorites...] command is also available from the Favorites Menu if the list of favorites becomes unwieldy.

New Window From Here: This can be used to open a child window based on the current console tree selection. One example would be to create a New Window From Here to display both Users and Groups windows at the same time in a console. The windows can be tiled to allow viewing both simultaneously.

A Few Final Words About Microsoft Management Consoles
The real value in using consoles if you are on a single computer is the ability to tailor one console to your own preferences. Spend some time exploring the snap-ins, discarding those parts you never use and adding others as your experience grows. In a multi-user/multi-computer situation, creating consoles tailored to specific users and responsibilities increases efficiency and helps guard against security problems and administrative errors. Whatever the situation, once you spend some time getting past the initial learning curve you'll find them quite useful.

thanks,
I will post more of this kind of stuff if you guys want it. I have to make it for class anyways....so i might as well share it with others.

now what?

not sure if you can help, but i spent last two days browsing internet trying to figure out a taskpad problem and any help is appreciated at this stage.

running windows 2003 server and xp client with admin console. when i create a taskpad (regardless if i create it on the server itself or the xp client), and use the 'navigate' function to point to my favorites, which are couple of existing OUs (trying to create a taskpad to administer user accounts), after i close the the saved console and go back to it, i have to click EACH link in my main navigation window 3x before it takes me to where i wanted to go. once it 'wakes up' i can use the taskpad like a charm. till i close it again.

i can recreate the problem with any taskpad i create on any machine. the error i am getting is non descriptive "the specified action could not be completed", supposedly from internet explorer. after the three clicks on link the error goes away and i go in. the explorer version i am running on all is 6 with sp1.

and am stuck

thanks
kacka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom