"Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" in boot.ini?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secret

Solid State Member
Well, I was planning to attempt to speed up my total boot up time by stopping all unnecessary processes from starting up on computer start, which I was going to do through msconfig.

But before I did that, since I was concerned about somehow preventing the startup of some crucial program, I made a system restore point. Never made one on this computer before.

So I made one, then proceeded to uncheck various boxes in the Services and Startup tab of msconfig to prevent unnecessary programs from opening on computer start. After unchecking quite a few, all of which I was sure were safe to disable, I attempted to save these settings and it prompted me to restart my computer. So I did.

Then, on booting back up, it came to a page that said "Please select operating system to start:" with two choices, my actual OS (Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition) and this thing called "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console". The page goes away in 3 seconds so I don't even have to select which to load, but having that pop up in boot up when I'm trying to speed up the boot up is counterproductive. I googled what this was and found out how to disable what-apparently-is the dual-boot option menu, but my question is..

Where the h-word did this "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" thing come from? All I did system-wise was make a system restore point and disable a few startup things, and to me "windows recovery console" and "system restore" sound related so I'm not sure if it's safe to delete the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console in boot.ini (the "fix" i found on google to make the dual-boot menu not come on). Everything else seems to be running perfectly A-OK since I unchecked a few startup and services boxes in msconfig, but just in case I messed up something that'll come up in the future I want to have the system restore point so I won't be screwed - so I don't know if it's safe to delete whatever this "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" thing is that magically popped up somehow from boot.ini.

So, is it safe?

Yes you can delete that. Start>Run>msconfig again. This time go into the boot.ini tab. There manually edit out the Recovery Console or see if the check all boot paths option will get rid of it. If not then just manually edit it out. That will be jsut fine as long as you have your Windows CD handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom