Microsoft Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a Dell wireless keyboard that was using Microsoft's IntelliType Pro 5.? driver (go figure), so I went to a wired keyboard for now and uninstalled IntelliType but the other users don't have the same setup as I. So, we'll see...

Biz,

That should explain why you got the issue on your PC. It was using the incorrect driver which could result in the PC interpreting some actions to be more than what they are.

Also Are you sure that the action being done is a single click? Just a thought that maybe when people are clicking that they accidently move the mouse a bit which causes the cells to get highlighted?

Let us know how that driver situation turns out. It could be the same on the other setups as well. If you used the network to place the image on all the machines then it could be the image that is corrupted and installed the wrong drivers which is causing this issue with the machines as well.

Cheers,
Mak

Biz,

How did the other machines on the network get their XP install? Was it done thru a Image or seperate install for each machine over the network? If you can give a bit of info on how the machines got the OS maybe we can narrow down some issues. If the OS came preinstalled from teh factory then it could be a software conflict as well.

Cheers,
Mak

All of the above! Sorry...but depending on the time that particular machine was set up, we've used all three of those methods for the OS setups.

Biz,

Gravy. :p

Well that doesnt help any. Best bet try to see if the mouse and keyboard drivers match.

Cheers,
Mak

I have the same problem with a mouse click selecting multiple cells at once in MS Excel 2007. Very annoying. But when I switch from Page Layout View to Normal View the problem disappears. When I go back to Page Layout view the problem reoccurs. I have a Microsoft wireless laser mouse but I don't think that is the cause. I first noticed the problem when I was working on an imported spreadsheet, probably created in MS Excel 2003 or earlier - so it could be a template issue.

I have had the same issues. The "select multiple cells" habit is spastic and sporadic. All of my spreadsheets are being saved as 2003-compatable XLS because we haven't upgraded all of the computers to Office 2007. I didn't notice this happening until I was "upgraded" to a dual-core box (went from one Dell to another). I'm using the same keyboard as my old box and the same Logitech marble mouse (trackball). All of my peripherals are hard wired.

I didn't think about it, but it appears on page layout view and goes away in normal view. As far as I'm aware, the spreadsheet template in use is "Normal".

The work-around of using the arrow keys to change the selected area works.

Same problem here. One thing I haven't seen discussed here, which gets you around this bug:

* Do not work in a maximized screen *

If you work in a window (which you can size as big as you want), this problem doesn't exist. It's only when you're maximized that multiple cells are selected.

In the words of one of my first bosses, "It's not a bug, it's a feature."

I have the same problem. Typically, 1-4 cells below the current one will also be highlighted. I'm working on a Dell Workstation running XP SP2, using a basic Dell USB keyboard and mouse.

The problem occurs regardless of whether I'm working in a window or in a fully maximized screen.

The solutions I've found are:
-save the file and exit excel, then reopen the file.
-Don't work in page layout view

The workaround using the arrow keys works, but the problem reappears as soon as I click another cell with the mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom