Microsoft Certification's are changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexluethar

Fully Optimized
MS is changing some of their policies on certification as well as some of the certification paths. All of the details aren't out yet, but in general it seems as though they are moving away from MCITP and MCTS and making MCSA and MCSE. All new certifications are also going to be much more difficult (from the suggested 6 months of experience to 2 years of experience), and MS certifications will now expire after 2 to 3 years, instead of expiring when the technology is no longer in use.

Here are some details:
MCSE: MCSE Certification | MCSE Training | Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert

MCSA: MCSA: The foundation for your career in IT

Overview:
Certification Overview

If you've ever taken an exam through prometric or are on their email list you probably got an email today about this. Details aren't really clear as the newer technologies aren't even on the shelves yet. Personally i'm going to wait until the dust settles before choosing what / if to upgrade my certifications.

In a way this is a good thing, but in a way I see this as being bad. Techs aren't always going to have time to study a test every 2-3 years when they can barely keep up with what is going on in the IT department.

Well they are only keeping up with the trend. Look what is done with the A+ and NET+ exams now. Those are only a cert good for 2-3 years. So really why should the Microsoft Certs be any different. If people are required to get an updated cert for core hardware and networking cause they change so fast, then it would be safe to say that since Microsoft is on par to release a new version of Windows every 3 years that the certs would have to be updated as well.

Granted no company updates their systems as often as Microsoft would like. But the truth is still that a new version of Windows and Office are released every 3 years or so. So it only seems to make sense that the certs would go on the same cycle.

Yes it is bad, yes it does suck. 2 years of experience is not something to easily come by when you need the cert in the first place to get the job. A classic catch 22 if I ever saw one. But at the same time when you see some of us old timers with our certs, you have to wonder when we got it and if the stuff we know is what is currently used. I mean some certs for XP are still valid today, even though they are going on 12 years old. Cause the product is still in its lifetime. So did the person get the cert 12 years ago or was it more like 3 years ago? So having a cert that goes for the lifetime of a product can also be just as bad as one that expires after 2-3 years.

I'm excited that they are making the certs more difficult. I think it's entirely too easy to pass the exams now. A lot of people do those memory dumps and pass these exams with ZERO ability to manage an enterprise server.

As for exams expiring i think it's stupid. Reason being is the certification should be good as long as the technology is in use. For example, server 2008, any certification you take for that should never expire and the title of that certification should have Server 2008 somewhere in the title. This way there is no confusion on what you are certified in and in 2015 when you say 'i'm certified, i have the MCITP: EA 2008" people KNOW it's dated because it has the date on the certification. It's silly that they'll say a windows 8 certification is only good for 3 years when the OS will barely change in that time and companies may keep that OS in production environments for 10 years. So why can't the cert be good for as long as a company actually uses an OS?

As for CompTIA, i think those SHOULD expire after 3 years because hardware changes so often you can't sit there and say you're A+ certified when you were certified 10 years ago and the only wifi technology in use was b mode wifi and vlans didnt exist.

expiring certs could be good for a couple reasons. we could use it as a bargining chip for a raise or promotion. also, ms could structure the test in a way to build on the knowledge learned in a previous exam. this happens in college with higher course levels. this way saying i've been a mcsa for 6 years carries more weight than than only 3 years.

thanks for the info. me and a coworker are thinking about getting started on mcitp 2008. it's a old cert but our company has no plans to install 2012 for approx 2 years. Ugh, so now i have to look at that again. There could be software compatibility issues.

I dont see any point in studying MS certs based on the cloud when our company manages our own servers. Even if you move your servers to the cloud, then a thridy party provider usually handles the infrastructure.

edit - my buddy let me know that the same tests for mcitp 2008 is now branded as mcsa 2008

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx

Depends on the MCITP exam you take, there are two, MCITP: Server Administrator 2008 and MCITP: Enterprise Server Administrator 2008. The first is changing to MCSA, the second i'm not sure about.

I'm taking the MCITP: EA 2008 right now and hope to be done by summer. Doesn't look like they've put any material out on what they are doing with that certification. Honestly believe they will just have a normal upgrade path with one exam just like they did for the 2003 to 2008 server stuff. Just funny that they put out a little bit of information to 'get the crowd going' but don't give any real details (IE exams to upgrade, what all is changing, etc). I think its mostly a marketing ploy to get those new cloud certifications out there. I think once windows 8 is out in the fall we will see more details information on the new policies with exams, upgrade paths and new exam numbers.

Regardless the new exams won't be out until middle of next year at the earlier, meaning you won't see any actual study material until fall of 2013. I agree w/ you i have no plans on learning the 'cloud' anytime soon.

I'm not too upset either way, i knew in 2013 or 2014 server 2012 would be out and i would need to update my current MCITP: EA exam.

Mak, I agree it is a GOOD thing, but have you honestly ever met an IT Administrator that has the time to handle his network AND take all these cert tests? In the end, these Admins will end up with 5-10 certs and be taking tests almost every few months. Which means that they either study the "new" material in hopes that they didn't miss something that MIGHT have been added to a product, or, well, they get a cert and hope the company doesn't get rid of him.

I kinda like the theory of having the certs last the life-span of a product, but have the year the test was taken in the title. In the end, it's nothing more than Microsoft seeing CompTIA and Apple pull in hundreds of thousands in cash every year and wanting the same thing. They all want just a little bit more money, and product long or life long certs just doesn't give them that money since most people that want these certs, have them already.

I fully agree that it will be difficult for anyone to keep up. But it wont be impossible. Yes I do know an IT Admin and yeah he does work his butt off. But he also has plenty of time to be at home with his wife and 2 kids as well. If he really wanted to worry about his certs and keep up with them, he does have the time to spare to do it. It would just cut into his family time and give him less time for them.

I also do realize that this is not normal as well. But the fact is if people want something bad enough, they have to sacrifice to get it. My wife working toward store manager is the same thing. She wants it bad enough and she has to sacrifice to get it. That sacrifice is time with me and her kid. We deal with it cause I know what she is trying to achieve and am I all for it.

So to tell sit here and tell me that it is dang near impossible for someone in IT to keep up is something that will not sit perfectly. Cause I know that if people want something bad enough, they will make the sacrifices to do what they must. If that means staying up late and reading new material instead of getting a full 8 hours of sleep, that is what they will do. I barely see my wife cause of her sacrifice, so telling me that something cant be done cause of any reason is bull. It can be done, if you try.

I agree with you Mak, they shouldn't tailor their exam policies to meet the masses. I'm excited about the difficulty being increased - means that being an MCSA / MCSE (the new terms not the old ones) will mean something. Too often do i see people with literally 15 certifications, anywhere from A+ to Exchange to Cisco. They are just taking them to take them and it has nothing to do with their jobs.

Increasing the difficulty will cut some of that out and will make being certified something that you are proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom