MCDST?

basspro82

Solid State Member
Right now I'm studying for the A+ exam. I was hoping to get in the field some how. I'm have my Net+ and Server+ from ten years ago. I was just wondering if the MCDST cert is still around?

Thanks

I think it is but it would be a waste of your time and money, looks like the two required exams 70-271 and 70-272 were retired in 2011. So no - you can't take this exam (you don't want to anyways it covers XP).

MS has changed certification paths twice since MCDST was presented in 2004, they had MCTS / MCITP and now they are moving towards MCSA and MCSE (not the same as back in the early 2000s).

Get your MCSA in windows 7 or windows 8. Personally i would go with windows 7 because corporate environments will be reluctant to move to windows 8.

MCSA: Windows 7 Certification | Microsoft Learning

Depending how you plan on breaking into the IT industry will depend on which path you want to chose.
If you simply want to repair computers the A+ and MCSA Windows 8 will be sufficient.
If you want to focus on servers MCSE with focus on Windows Server 2012 would be a better choice.
If you like networking I would recommend also looking at Cisco certifications. You are required to re-take the exam every three years to keep it but CCNA or CCNP is a great certification to have.

Thank you guys for the help. I was thinking that after the A+ exam I would try to work at a computer store. Installing, upgrading whatever the case my bed and get experience, then move into the help desk area. From there, that's were I'll like to see where my interest and career path will take me.

If you want to get into the Help Desk I would look at that as your initial entry point into the IT industry.
Any place you work, specially local computer places there will always be "bad" habits you pick up and little things they do that might not be the best. Always keep a look out on those also.

Back
Top Bottom