McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool

I always used to shy away from companies that provided customers with tools to completely remove their products from a computer system. Two notorious companies that provide those tools are Symantec / Norton with their Norton Removal Tool and McAfee with their Consumer Product Removal Tool. These tools are indispensable when removing Norton or McAfee software products from a computer system.
The last time I used one was when I bought a new laptop which had all kinds of trialware installed. The McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool removes all 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 versions of McAfee consumer products including trial versions.
The tool works on all Windows NT systems including Windows XP and Windows Vista. The interesting aspect is that McAfee recommends to remove the product from the Remove Programs option in Windows before running the cleanup tool.
After removing the McAfee product from the Remove Programs option in Windows the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool has to be used to remove any files, folders and Registry keys that have not been removed by the default Windows uninstallation process.
Windows Vista users have to start MCPR.exe as administrators by right-clicking the file and selecting Run As Administrator from the menu.
If the cleanup fails a Cleanup Unsuccessful notification appears that provides access to a detailed log file. A simple text document that can be analyzed or send to McAfee support for further details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom