Mass Effect Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirlwind

Fully Optimized
I know I did not need a new thread for this, but thought more people would be able to find it this way.

Let me start off by saying that I am not really a sci-fi kind of person and I usually don't enjoy space games all that much...but I did enjoy System Shock 2. I usually dont like how the enviorments, especially inside a ship or inside building always look the same and repetitive...there is some of that in this game, but there was so much good to the game that it did not bother me to much.

This game is a port-over from the game consoles and there is parts of the game that show that....mainly for me that was the inventory system and interface, even though from what I hear it is better on the pc.....but definitely could have been done better in my opinion. There is not getting around it, it just has that "console-fied" look and feel to it.....it by no means ruins the game, as the goods far exceed the not so goods. You can at least use hot-keys in the game.

This game is very much Story Driven, and that is done incredibly well in my opinion. It feels almost movie like as things develope and you learn more about different speices and races. The story was so good I found myself wanting to keep playing to find out more about the story. I was totally sucked into the game...I had the same feeling during my first play thru of Stalker.

It is a RPG first and a shooter second. The character creator is nicely done. The dialog is done very well and is easy to navigate thru. The real stong point for me was how good the voice acting was in this game....I REALLY enjoyed this very much....top notch in my opinion.

Leveling up was quite fun for your own character, I leveled up everyone of my squad mates too and by the end of the game, while I felt it was for my own benefit leveling them up, it got abit tired of doing it for them and rooting thru their inventory and supplying them with the best weapons and the like.
I do believe that is your option however, so I commend them for giving you that opportunity.

Controlling your squad was not incredibly hard, and for the most part I just gave them the weapon I wanted them to use and they kind of did the rest.
I really never ordered them to go in different places very ofton.....for the most part , they helped me out and stayed out of my way....what more could I ask :p:

I would give the graphics a nice thumbs up . Especially the different characters and speices and races thru out the game. That is where the graphics shined for me. There were a few outside enviorments that gave you that "wow" feeling, when you first saw them.

On the audio side, i give the game an average to alittle above average score....but a huge A+ for the voice acting.

Now on to the combat.....the combat does feel alittle "clunky and "console-fied" in this game, but way more so early on...while it could have been better , for sure, by the time I was at like the middle of the game, I was pretty good and it was enjoyable. I did really hate the curser, or recticle for combat....that would have been nice to make it what you preferered....

The cover system works well for combat and I was really digging that part of it and like I said by mid point of the game the combat was pretty fun.

The weapons for me, were your standard pistol, automatic rifles, sniper rifle and shot gun. I played as a soldier....mainly because i like to shoot stuff and never cared for all those other kind of powers that I could have, if there were GUNS :yes:......I guess I am mainly a first person shooter kind of guy.

The weapons of course suck at first, until you get more skills with them and the first few combat fights were pretty tuff....but once you get built up...you can carve your way thru the ememy in no time.

I really believe you could just walk your way thru the game with only an assault rifle. I would have liked to seen more weapons.

The games looks great in motion and it runs really, really well....optimized very well indeed as I played thru the whole game without a hiccup or any kind of crash...so another big thumbs up for that :thumbup:

There is alot of side quest to do in the game and I think I did them all...the only things I did not finish was exploring for all of the minerals and the like.....that does get alittle boring after awhile....but most of the other story related side quest were quie good and fun and I felt that I just had to do them because the story tied in with them so well. I can not say enough times how good and how well that they tied the story up and kept you wanting more.

There was one part in the game, which was my biggest pet peeve in the game.....where I had to play thru the part a few times to get past some enemies and i had to watch the same cutscene over and over again.......that is frustrating and happened to me only once......the game has a quicksave, but wont allow you to use it during combat.

This game has way more positives than negatives and the story is really epic and well told and I can not wait to play Mass Effect 2.

I hope it does not seem like that I told more negatives about the game than positives, as I liked this one alot .

I got 30 hours and 48 minutes out of the game and probrobly could have got more if I had chose to go exploring for more minerals and the like.

This game is not a run and gun shooter...but it is very fun and I would highly recommend it, as I am getting to like these kind of RPG games more and more....I really dont like the swords and magic and bows and arrows type of RPG's.....but I really like the ones with GUNS :D:.

Nice review! Very in-depth, and you covered both negatives and positives evenly. I am definitely looking forward to Mass Effect 2 also. I haven't tried the first one, I'm going to go ahead and skip it and play the 2nd one though since you have pretty much convinced me to get into the seires :D. I too like the RPG's with guns, the whole magic and dwarfs thing is hard for me to catch on to.

James, to my understanding, you can take your character from Mass Effect over to Mass Effect 2.....You probrobly dont need to play one, but I think it would help and you would get so much out of the story, since the game is story driven.

There is also going to be a third game...so it wll be a trilogy.

Yeah I saw there was going to be a third, that's cool. I have so many games installed to play/finish, but one more can't hurt...I will get Mass Effect and hopefully finish it before the 26th :D

I just finished one of the DLC for Mass Effect....it is called Bringing Down The Sky....It is very good and the mission is around 2 hours long.

Here are a few screenshots from Bringing Down The Sky

4269943915_5fb0035051_b.jpg

4269940845_6c7796864a_b.jpg

4270684980_33332e5edd_b.jpg

4270685090_d0f70d061b_b.jpg

Nice review. Mass Effect is a good game, but it's so long I never got round to completing it! I found it a bit frustrating in parts. :whistle:

If you are a fan though and have an iPod Touch/iPhone you should check out Mass Effect: Galaxy on the App Store. It's an average game, and should be pretty cheap now, but if you are interested in buying ME2 I know that once you complete ME: Galaxy you will unlock things in ME2 on release. I don't know what these things are yet though.

lol I think Seth Green plays Joker.

edit: Indeed he does. There are other actors that I can recognize voices of. Captain Anderson is an black actor that I can't recall the name of, but he also does the voice for the black soldier in the training tutorial in the beginning of Modern Warfare 2.

Well I put about 3.5 hours into this game tonight and so far it is a major letdown. I've maybe gotten into about 6 gun fights but mostly it's just running around ships talking to people, getting sent to to really lame missions, talking to more people, shooting at a couple people, talking to more people, getting sent across the ship, going to another place, shooting a couple people, ETC ETC ETC.

Is this all there is to it or does the game get better? Please let me know, because I don't want to waste any more time on it lol. The best part so far was the very beginning when there was actually more than 5 minutes of combat.

Edit: Finally getting towards the Matriarch on Noveria, I sure hope the pace keeps up like this...it's a long time coming.

There are other actors that I can recognize voices of. Captain Anderson is an black actor that I can't recall the name of, but he also does the voice for the black soldier in the training tutorial in the beginning of Modern Warfare 2.
The Anderson guy (Keith David) has done a huge amount of acting/voice acting. He voiced the Arbiter in the Halo series, and well... a bloody lot of stuff! Keith David - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is this all there is to it or does the game get better? Please let me know, because I don't want to waste any more time on it lol. The best part so far was the very beginning when there was actually more than 5 minutes of combat.
If you do only a few of the side-quests and only do the main ones (Feros, Noveria, Liara's Dig Site, Virmire, etc.) then you get a lot more combat, but then you miss out on a lot of backstory (especially for ME2) and character development. The game isn't as combat- or action- oriented as I think you were expecting ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom