Map an FTP Site to a Drive Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
Map an FTP Site to a Drive Letter

assign-drive-letter-to-ftp.png

MacroData's NetDrive is a polished app that is able to connect to both FTP and WebDAV servers even over a proxy connection. It comes pre-populated with several notable FTP locations for universities and companies, but they are all disconnected by default. You can manually choose to connect any of them, set them to connect upon startup, or add your own custom FTP sites.

The thing I love about NetDrive is that the drive letter that is assigned to the FTP site can even be accessed by other applications including DOS. That makes this a great utility for anyone wanting to tinker around with batch files that transfer files to/from remote locations. Of course you could use built-in Windows command-line FTP interface, but being able to use something like robocopy with an FTP server is pretty huge.

Here are some of the features highlighted by the developer:

* You can use NetDrive Site Manager to easily register and connect to all remote servers you wish to access.
* Simply map your drive to a specific site and it will be configured automatically the next time your Windows starts. You can add as many sites as you want.
* When you connect to a remote server, a drive letter will be mapped and you can transfer files and folders by drag and drop in Windows Explorer. You can manage files and folders with a click of mouse.
* NetDrive supports direct file operation in mapped drive. You can run any .exe files in remote server from your Windows explorer. To watch a movie file in your remote server, you just need to double click it.
* Once you install NetDrive, you will see an icon created in your system tray. (Right click your mouse on the icon to view menu) NetDrive tray icon provides shortcuts to use.
* NetDrive. You can open the site manager, configure NetDrive, connect to registered site or view logs.
* You can customize the program settings from Setup menu. From Setup menu, you can manage action after connection, auto-connection to specific site when Windows starts and log monitoring.
* Since NetDrive provides Windows system driver to mount drive, you can use DOS-prompt to use commands like copy, xcopy and dir. Other DOS-based legacy applications can be used since NetDrive provides DOS based file access.

If you're in the market for an app like this I'd highly recommend checking it out, but remember it's only free for home/non-commercial use. Otherwise it will run you $29 for a license.

NetDrive Homepage (Windows only; Free for Home Use)

You can map a FTP site to a drive letter without using ^^that software^^.

The ability is built right into Windows. Go to the Start Menu and click on "Computer" or "My Computer". At the top you should see a button to "Map network drive". It's not hard to do, I made a guide for the review team but I can't let everyone see that guide. If someone doesn't beat me to it I'll make a guide for the regular members in the next week or 2.

Ah okie, never really tried though just thought it was a neat idea. Was gonna try whenever I make back a test site to mess around with lol. When you make the guide, you can remove this thread to not cause confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom