Mandrake n00b > problems+questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
Installed linux successfuly.
Well, I had to try 5 different cd-rom drives.
I had 100's of error's "error installing pachage"
I just continued.

So I installed successfuly, also have multi-boot menu.

But i only get into the console... Ican login wth root and themajor, but I do not know any commands.. only reboot and ls...

how do i get to the GUI??? i want to use kde, gnome, enlightenment etc

type xorgconfig or xf86config--->enter first few letters and then tab key, it will complete the rest for you, that way if im wrong on the spelling it will show up anyway, follow the prompts after that, its and X configuration script.

Then type startx and you should be up.

may want to try xwmconfig too, dont know if mandrake uses that or not, but in slackware it gives you a windowm manager option menu

shell commands for bash prompt:
ls = list
mkdir= make directory
cd = change directory
man <commandname> prints docs on that command
? or help, spits out available commands
there's a bunch more plus all the apps in /usr/bin etc

not sure in mandrake, well I know how to do it the old fashioned way, I think Mandrake has an option to do this once your in a window manager though, poke around once you get it up and see what you can find.

Get everything else working first, not too tough to type startx after boot.

Oh ya, if in X, you can get back to console by hitting ctr-alt-F2, and back to X by typing alt-F7........X will stay running when you exit that way

ctrl-alt-backspace kills X

when in console mode you have multiple consoles, hit alt-F1-F6 to switch, you can be logged in multiple times as different users or as the same user

problem

xwmconfig, xorgconfig did not do nothing

I ran the xf86config wizard, chose my gfx etc.

Then typed startx, but got an error:
xinit server error (code 13)
xauthority user failure

or something similar

tell me if u need more info

try startkde, see what happens, after that, go here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org and goto the mandrake forum and ask

chances are your going to need to redo your xconfig file again cause you didnt do something right,that happens, lots of options there, easy to pick wrong answers.

oh ya, surf to mandrake's website and see what they have as far as tutorials and start up guides

thanks

well, I tried startkde and startgnome and got lots of lots of errors.. I think its corrupted

its either the cd or cd-rom player(s)

I had lots of packages failed to install

I think I will buy some discs and burn them again... or maybe put those errors on the mandrake forums.

if you have install errors your screwed, start over, Ive never had something fail to install before

ok.. thanks for ur help

I posted on that linux forum, i will probably burn those discs again, cause I tried 5 diff cd-rom drives... so its prolly the discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom