Major lag online, possible router or modem problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triveria

Beta member
Hello all and thanks for your time.

I am currently having issues at my home. I have a Cable Modem a Motorola Surfboard (provided by my ISP). I have a Microsoft MN-100 Router (we got this quite a few years ago). Both computers are running Windows XP.

Basically within the last two weeks our internet has become extremely slow with high ping and packet loss. Sites load slow and downloads crawl. When I am on World of Warcraft I'm usually at 500-1300ms ping.

I called my ISP and they ran some tests on the modem from there and said it showed packet loss and they needed someone to come to my house to service it. They guy arrived and ran some tests which showed some minor errors and he had to replace the Junction Box(?). He ran more tests then it showed up fine.

I'm still getting major lag while on the internet with both computers. For some reason when I try to plug the Modem into my computer I can't just connect thru that way (IP Address issue?).

Does this seem like it would be a router issue and just replacing it would be the best case? How could I set it up from my cable modem straight to my computer and not have to worry about the router and see if I get high lag that way. I can't connect to the internet when I do this.

I am currently at work (go go me!), so I can't really check anything but suggestions on what to do would be great.

If you want to connect the modem to your computer, I think the modem need to be reset by unplugging its power cable for at least 10s and try to plug it back to your computer.

Hello all and thanks for your time.

I am currently having issues at my home. I have a Cable Modem a Motorola Surfboard (provided by my ISP). I have a Microsoft MN-100 Router (we got this quite a few years ago). Both computers are running Windows XP.

Basically within the last two weeks our internet has become extremely slow with high ping and packet loss. Sites load slow and downloads crawl. When I am on World of Warcraft I'm usually at 500-1300ms ping.

I called my ISP and they ran some tests on the modem from there and said it showed packet loss and they needed someone to come to my house to service it. They guy arrived and ran some tests which showed some minor errors and he had to replace the Junction Box(?). He ran more tests then it showed up fine.

I'm still getting major lag while on the internet with both computers. For some reason when I try to plug the Modem into my computer I can't just connect thru that way (IP Address issue?).

Does this seem like it would be a router issue and just replacing it would be the best case? How could I set it up from my cable modem straight to my computer and not have to worry about the router and see if I get high lag that way. I can't connect to the internet when I do this.

I am currently at work (go go me!), so I can't really check anything but suggestions on what to do would be great.

Ok an update from this morning: I went under my network connections and the router has its own selection on there called Microsoft Broadband network. I double clicked on that and happened to notice the speed was showing at 10.0 mbps. I double clicked on my LAN connection that is connected to the back of the computer and noticed it was showing 100.0 mbps. This was the same as downstairs.

I was able to get my computer to hook up directly into the modem and went back to my computer upstairs and the internet was running much much faster. When I tried bringing up this site while still plugged into the router it was so slow and pretty much non responsive. While in the modem it was so much faster.

Seems I should just replace my modem, agreed? Would Linksys - EtherFast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router - BEFSR41 be a good router to buy? I have heard good news about it and I believe it is the router used here at work.

Sorry for the bump, but just wanted to see if I should go ahead and buy the new router? Getting ready to leave work soon, just wanted some good opinions. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom