Looking to work with computers at retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldnumber11

Solid State Member
I am 61. I have worked my entire career as an engineer (environmental). I can't work as an engineer forever. I have had an interest in computers as a hobby for a while. I enjoy working with them. I am looking for ideas on how I can put this interest to use possibly after I retire to be productive and make a living. I know this is a broad question, but can you help me with what kind of training I should get in the next 5 years or what kind of career opportunities are out there. I am probably looking at some kind of technical support or repair. What is the basic training one gets to learn about computers? That is the first topic on the road to A+ certification. Any ideas will help.:)

yeah A+ and possibly Network+ would be all you would need to work with computers (repair etc).

I understand that, but I have a more basic question. It seems when I started looking into A+ training, the training was how to pass a test, and not how to learn the basics of computers. Where are the basic training classes? Probably, my next step would be to visit a training location and ask questions. I would like to see examples of how others, even someone my age, got started.

Repairing/building computers is a trivial topic. I would just grab a book at the local book store and read through it. But if you insist on a class, I believe on the CompTIA site they have a list of official training centers.

yea just pick up a comptia book and start reading it. If you get into some parts of the book where you don't know what they are talking about, then just look it up on google.

OK, Same story. I looked up CompTIA books and they are all how to prepare for your exam. Is there a good basic book?

Yes it is a good "basic" Start. Thats the whole concept of the A+ Exam, is how to do simple computer repair and problem solving.

Even if you don't want to take the test, you should read some if not parts of those books.

As for more basic then those books get. Try A+ Certification for dummies, it is for the same exam but its alot Simplier and more basic... Lol Alot more basic, lol... ( I have the book its a waste of money if you want to pass the A+ Exam)

Regardless, the book covers all the "basics" of computer components and how they work. His posts seem to imply that he thinks exam preparation books contain test-taking strategies and example test questions only. The book I referenced above is over 1,000 pages and explains what each component is, how it works, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom