Looking to access Desktop wirelessly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

brizak79

Beta member
Seems like a simple enough question, but it probably isn't...
I own a laptop, but it's a piece of junk, and I want to get rid of it. My desktop computer is in my basement livingroom, and I want to keep it there. Is there a way for me to access my desktop computer from elsewhere in my house, without another computer? I'm thinking of a monitor & keyboard (like a laptop without the guts) that can wirelessly connect to it, while I'm sitting on the couch. I already have a wireless network setup. Any such product available out there? Thanks in advance... :cool:

IN a case like this, you really have to ask yourself what you want to use this for... and then add that information in this thread. Sure, there are many versions of this... thin client, remote administration.

But your answer is going to depend on a more detailed question. Give us a typical scenario... web surfing? gaming? running applications? everyday computing? (if so, what is that for you?)

Mostly just for surfing the internet, and running a few applications; nothing to complicated, no gaming, no running Photoshop or anything...

Depends on the distance. I mean you could run extension wires for your monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speaks up to the area that you want to game from. THe problem with this is you can only go so far before the signals will start to degrade to the point where they won't work. The other issue with this is turning on the computer, do you really want to go downstairs to turn on the computer?

IMO the better scenario would be to use your laptop to remotely connect into your desktop VIA your network. You can do this through remote desktop connection or a 3rd party tool like LogMeIn. This depends on the speed of your laptop and what you are wanting to do. If you'll jsut be running word processing and using the Internet I feel this is your best option.

Little mini-itx build running windows xp and attach it to the back of your tv...... Then use the standard software solutions to control it i.e. the default remote desktop or third party solutions.

Could also use a netbook.....

I mean you could run extension wires for your monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speaks up to the area that you want to game from. THe problem with this is you can only go so far before the signals will start to degrade to the point where they won't work. The other issue with this is turning on the computer, do you really want to go downstairs to turn on the computer?
I want to sit on the couch and surf the internet wirelessly (like with a laptop), and the desktop is pretty much always on.
IMO the better scenario would be to use your laptop to remotely connect into your desktop VIA your network. You can do this through remote desktop connection or a 3rd party tool like LogMeIn. This depends on the speed of your laptop and what you are wanting to do. If you'll jsut be running word processing and using the Internet I feel this is your best option.
I don't want to use my laptop because it overheats & shuts down all the time, & I don't want to spend $1,200 on a new one (but at least I wouldn't be having this problem then if I did :D ).
Little mini-itx build running windows xp and attach it to the back of your tv...... Then use the standard software solutions to control it i.e. the default remote desktop or third party solutions.
I don't want to use the TV as a computer, mostly because sometimes I am watching TV & the wife is on the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom