Looking for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyImportant

Baseband Member
I'm currently 15 years old and I just finished my Sophomore year in high school. I've recently began thinkin about my future (yes, I know, kind of late) and I would like to do something with computers. I haven't the slightest clue as to what, but something with computers. I've read through a few posts on this forum and I hardly understand what any of you are talking about as far as fields. I go to a small school, thus my school doesn't offer any tech classes. I'm just wondering what I should begin studying or looking into. I love computers, I just don't know much about the fields and whatnot you can do with computers. Should I start learning Java or some other computer language? I'm quite lost as you can tell.

Any help would be highly appreciated, thanks.

Well, it's pretty hard to generalize what you can do to start getting into computers since it's such a huge field. Webdesign would be a good place to start if you're more into the software end of things. It's also a good way to get to know other people in the computer field.

If you're interested in programming and somewhat new to computers, Java probably isn't the best way to start. Learn HTML first, then maybe Visual Basic.

P.S. I'm 15 too so I'm probably not the best person to answer your questions, but webdesign was how I started out with computers, so it might work for you too.

Hmm... I started on Homestead, which has long since turned evil. If you've worked with WYSIWYGs before, you could learn HTML. There are supposed to be some good HTML tutorials on www.webmonkey.com

If you haven't worked with WYSIWYGs before, you'd probably be best starting with a simple one and then learning HTML once you've got the hang of a WYSIWYG. Dreamweaver and Frontpage are the "industry standards" but they're expensive and somewhat complicated, so you should try something simpler. You could try out some of these. I've also got a WYSIWYG that I programmed that I could send you if you want it - it's not completely finished but it does the job, and it's a good experience to make a simple webpage and look at the HTML and figure out what it does.

Sure, I'd be grateful if you'd send it to me. However, stupid quesion I'm sure, but what does WYSIWYG stand for?^^ Obviously, I haven't worked with it.

WYSIWYG stands for What You See Is What You Get. It refers to drag-and-drop HTML editors, where you visually create a webpage instead of coding it.

I'll see if I can dig up that program and send it to you.

Another tip: To start looking at and getting used to HTML, just right-click any webpage and click View Source.

I would say this:

What do you "love" about computers? What do you like doing with or on them? What type of programs do you use?

What is your personality type? Describe yourself.

Once we have these answers, we can probably help guide or provide options for you to look into.

Saying, "I love computers" is like saying " I love sports" -- and playing football is COMPLETELY different from playing golf.

:)
give us some details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom