linux vs windows web hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
rookie1010 said:
what is apache?

Apache is just the web server software that you install on a Linux platform (and apparently, Windows too).

To add to this discussion:

I have set up webservers using Apache with Fedora Core 2, and IIS with Windows Server 2003.

Both have really good online support via tutorials/walkthroughs. Both are relatively easy to set up and secure.

I think that the deciding factors are: Money and comfort level with the OS.

Here's what I recommend to my customers:

- Windows, Apache, MySQL, and PHP (WAMP) if you are not comfortable with linux
- Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP) if you want a lean, cheap and quick server and not afraid of working in the commandline.
- Windows, IIS, MSSQL, and PHP (WIMP :)) if you want to also be able to use .NET technologies

so Apache (though it is a linux software) can be used with both windows and linux?

what is MySQL used for?

what is IIS?

wha tis PHP, i guess WAMP, LAMP and WIMP are the different flavours of PHP.

Apache is a web server for both linux and windows environments.

MYSQL is a database server.

IIS is a bunch of services provided with windows server. It included a web server, email, and a bunch of other stuff.

PHP is a language that delivers dynamic web content. Very popular language. Works extremely well with MYSQL.

LAMP is an operating system that includes pretty much every program you need to put up a website; including apache, mysql, perl, php, and I think python as well.

Don't know too much about WAMP but I believe it is the same as LAMP except with a windows operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom