Linux-Unix help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win2kpatcher

Fully Optimized
Hello tech forums! Forgive my ignorance when it comes to Unix/Linux, but I really know nothing on the OS and have had little interaction with it. Anywho I am installing the latest version of Veritas Backup Exec and want to configure it to back up our Linux server via Linux/Unix remoate agent. I have to install something on the Linux server, but am really quite lost.

I am no stranger to many OS so dont treat me to like to much of a noob..basically I am just trying to access the CD-ROM drive to run the installer, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to acess the freaking drive! This is number 4 on the install list:

"Navigate to the remote agent for Linux or Unix servers installer on the backup Exec CD using the following path:

<device_name>/ralus/<platform_name>/installralus

After a quick search I determined I need to find out the device name of the CD-ROM drive, but I do not know how to do that. 2nd the path up there ^^^ doesnt really make sense does it? I though it was all in a /asd/adsas/asdf/aasd/asfsaf fashion..then again I dunno. Running Linux Red Hat ver2 if I recall reading that right server name is "TDS-DIGICOL"...any help and the proper commands to run would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you.

on the server navigate to this directory:/etc/fstab
open that with any editor like pico or vi or whatever, a quick look will tell you what drives it has an where they get mounted at boot time-------your looking for something like: /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom .................0 0

then close that and do this:
mount /dev/hdc(make this match actual cdrom)
cd /mnt/cdrom(make this mount where it gets mounted)
ls -------------lists whats in there,navigate to the directory you want listed above using cd {pathname} like cd ralus/linux2.4.2/installralus
then run that program it wants with ./program_name

you will likely need to be logged in as root when doing this stuff, be careful,as root your in godmode, you can make any changes to the system, dont screw up

Thanks for the response! I will give this a shot. What do you mean though by open this with any editor? /etc/fstab

Other than that I think I understand the rest. I will find out when I get into work tomorrow. Also what is with the underscores? That is throwing me off cause you used them as well in your example of ./program_name now if the program name is installralus would I have to split this name up?

like ./install_ralus ? Or would it be one word ./installralus?

Cause the example I provided used underscores as well in <device_name> which threw me off how come they wrote in brackets?thanks again.

one word ./installralus

the underscores and other symbols are just syntax for the commands your going to be using, you will be in a shell, probably the BASH shell, this is like DOS from years ago, only in linux youve got a whole bunch of very powerful commands to use

/etc/fstab is a file, its the file system table at boot file

on that system it should have some text editors, try pico or vi, pico is way easier to understand, if you use vi, make sure you read about its commands first or you will be completely lost

to that file, it would be pico /etc/fstab or vi /etc/fstab

linux also usually has "man" pages, these are online manuals for commands and programs, typing man pico will spit out a synopsis of what the pico program is all about for example

horndude, thank you very much for all the help!! It worked perfectly and installed without a hitch thanks to you guidance. I owe you one :)

hey, when you get back in there, unmount the drive if you didnt do so already, or at least check to make sure its unmounted

a command of just plain mount with no options will list the mounted drives, if needed do an unmount /dev/hdc or whatever that cdrom drive is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom