Linux properly shutting down laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
I want to install linux on a small partition on my laptop, but when I have tried it in the past, it does not know how to send the motherboard a proper poweroff signal. I heard from a very relaible source that the 2.6 (if I remember correctly) kernal fixes this. What distros come with 2.6? Or is it something a moderate n00b could upgrade to? I can't really run linux without it tho, as I am not sure a reset (How I have to turn it off now) "locks" the HDD, if there is such a thing.

I've been using Fedora Core 2, and to shut that down, type this (logged in as root):

shutdown -h now

depends on your laptop, some of them dont play nicely with linux and the power management, I have no idea what you need to do, all laptops are different

If you're using LiLo then in lilo.conf I think you have to enter a line with ACPI = ON or APM = ON or something like that. Linux never shuts my desktop down properly until I mess with the lilo.conf file. It just hangs, and says "power off". It's still safe to switch off at that point though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom