Linux nears XP usability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linux should be as easy as WinXP but Linux offers so much, it can overwhelm a new comer. It did that to me. I didn't know I could use up to 4 decktop environments, have 3 browsers, or 2 office suites for free. That may keep some people from Linux at home. They could make a flavor that is easy on options, plenty of programs but not too many of one type, and drivers for more hardware. I always had a problem with integrated devices and Linux.

You should try Mandrake 9.1 or RedHat 9.0. These look the best, work the best, and are easiest to use right off the .iso.

If you want stability and ultimate customization then you need Slakware or Gentoo.

I like Linux, but I'm still not ready to switch fully. I need more games support first.

< realizes this is an oooooold post :rolleyes: >

linux just keeps getting better w/time and yes it is now very close to windows functionality. the latest ver of suse proves it. :)

<Realizes that chrönik is right>

The main problem is often the setup. It remains difficult to get all hardware working easily if you have any rarish devices. Personally, I have had immense trouble getting it to run on my laptop due to the notebook display and graphics card.

Switched to linux years ago and wont go back to anything else

Once the light comes on in your head after the initial learning curve it blows any other OS away for bang for the buck and stability.The power of a multiuser OS is amazing, especially one made from scratch by hackers.

i'm with ati, linux is better. but i need some more support for games.

worms is right though, if you have rare devices you're gonna have problems. oh that reminds me, need to make another thread.

If linux worked with my graphics cards, I would be dual booting it.

It hung at IRQ slot priorioties, but i only had a gfx card plugged in.

I will give it another try when i get a few more hard drives

horndude said:
Switched to linux years ago and wont go back to anything else

Once the light comes on in your head after the initial learning curve it blows any other OS away for bang for the buck and stability.The power of a multiuser OS is amazing, especially one made from scratch by hackers.
it wasn't made for scratch or by hackers

unix was developed at birkly university some date

gcc 1.2 "i think that's the right version" kicked but so gnu was started to protedct it from the evil empire

linux was developed

linux got a big boost when it became the modle simuataor for space misions

linux became know as being the most secur os ever

now tell me one time a hacker was involved in any major step of the proses or any of my facts that are wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom