Linking 2 computers together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerigorn

In Runtime
I have a large collection of music on one computer, and i have just built a new one. If i used cat5 to link the computers together how would i transfer the mp3's to the new computer?

You can use cat5 is you wish. You have either get a cross overcable, or have a hub attached between the two. Then you only need to connect to the computer via the gui. You will have to assign an IP manually if it's win2k, but xp will create one. Once you have an IP, then type this in the run dialog
\\IP\c$
press enter and then wiat for the password prompt. You will need to enter either an administrator account name and password or if you have valid admin acounts on both machines that are named the same with the same passwords, it will actually let you pass though without prompt.
Good luck

easiest way is to network computers using crossover cable and run network setup wizard. next share your folder with the music on other computer just copy and paste folder on new computer and wallah!

I thought just LAN two computer as peer to peer.
Then make a file sharing folder n put all the songs inside.
No wonder sometimes cant connect.
If 2 PCs is running win XP Pro, how to LAN together so that can play games n access internet with only 1 ADSL.

Didi,
Get a router. The router will connect to your ISP and then you can have as many machines on the back side to connect trough the router.
It's just a matter of configuring the connection within the router.

Get a Router or a Hub. Connect both of your computers to the Hub or Router. Then run the "Set up a home or office network" from My Network Places section. Once that is done on both computers, you can right click on the music folder, click "Sharing and Security" and then enable the sharing. It's all self explanitory.

As an additional option, you can "Map a Network Drive" so that other computers can access your specified shared folder by going to My Computer and seeing it there.

just a note on the router or hub. If you want both computers to connect to the internet, you need the router not the hub. Your ISP is only going to give you one IP address unless you pay for two. That is why people either use internet connection sharing or routers.

Get the router, they are cheap now. Plus they offer a little more security and several options for your future computing needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom