licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital_Jedi

In Runtime
So I have two copies of Windows 7 pro. One is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit. I have the 64 bit on my desktop and the 32 bit on my laptop. I recently upgraded the RAM on my laptop to 4GB but it says only 2.75GB usable. I want to also put my copy of Windows 7 pro 64 bit on my laptop as well. It meets all hardware requirements just I don't know if I can use my 64 bit license again. Anyone know?

Windows can only use 2.75gb of ram because hardware devices start assigning memory addresses starting at the 4gb address and work their way down. If you removed devices that require memory addresses, then this number would increase. Prime example of a device that uses memory addresses is video memory. This would still occur if you installed 64bit with only 4gb of ram.

To install two instances of Windows 7 64bit, you will need to purchase two licenses to be legal. Windows server allows for multiple instances to be run in virtual machine with a single license. I think its 3 with standard, 5 with enterprise, and unlimited with datacenter.

You cant use the 64 Bit License again. 1 Serial = 1 PC. You can however use the license from your laptop with the 64 Bit install media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom