Li-Ion Battery Recharging (Samsung Galaxy S)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crofalcon

Solid State Member
Hello again!

So, i'm reading all over the internet, and some people say it's not good to recharge this battery (type) before it's fully discharged, but then Wikipedia says says that it's actually RECOMMENDED to charge Li-Ion batteries before they're fully discharged.

Now, my dillema is coming from constantly having my previous phone connected to my PC via a USB cabel while transfering files off and on the phone, which also kept my phone charging, and after a while my battery became pretty much useless, lasting like 1-2 hours after being fully charged.

I just don't want to do the same to my new Galaxy S' battery, and am wondering if anyone can enlighten me about this Li-Ion battery recharge problem :/

Thanks in advance!

You shouldnt charge your phone until it is fully discharged. Dont always believe what you read in Wikipedia, as that article can be edited by anyone at any time. The battery cycle should be performed at least twice before you start to "charge" it before it is fully discharged. If you have to connect it to your PC, turn off the device, remove the battery, then connect it. It should power on while it is connected and it wont destroy your battery life.

I have always been told they should. Sorry that is cordless phones that should fully discharge. Cell Phones you drain them down low, but not have them discharge. When i say drain i dont mean to have the phone cut off while in use. I mean to have it notify you of low battery and not show any battery power.

This way you dont "drain" the battery completely, but you do take it down as far as possible before you start to charge. I dont mean to put it on the charger the instant that the low battery symbol comes on either. Cause that isnt helping. I know with my phone i can still use it for an hour if not longer before the battery is so low that it will just cut out. That is the point you want to be at when you start the charge. It takes time to find that sweet spot, but i can say that when done your batteries will last much longer. I can get 5 days out of a single charge on my battery on my phone which is well over 2 years old. That is with web, texting and talking.

Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately, I can't power it up while the battery is out :/

Yeah i seen that after some research. At that point, i would try to wait and not charge it when you have a half full battery or close to full charge. Wait until you get close to low battery before you sync. This will help extend the life of your battery other than having it charging at various points of the battery life cycle.

Sorry but I have to disagree here. Li-Ion batteries shouldn't be fully drained often, try to keep some charge in them at all times. The older nickel-based batteries didn't like being partially discharged then recharged because they had something like a 'memory'. Not allowing the battery to fully discharge would cause their performance to deteriorate.
However, Li-Ion batteries don't have this problem, in fact they have the opposite. Full discharges put extra strain on the battery because the charge/recharge is more aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom