leaving the computer on all day - power consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
junglemike said:
there is no point trying to save power turning off the computer just because of the fridge

Why is there no point? There is no point in leaving the computer ON because it consumes unnecessary power when it's doing absolutely nothing whatsoever, and this costs unnecessary money in electric bills. It doesn't matter how much power it consumes, it WILL cost money, and it IS completely unnecessary unless you're downloading or something which you feel is worth the extra cost.

Why is there no point? There is no point in leaving the computer ON because it consumes unnecessary power when it's doing absolutely nothing whatsoever, and this costs unnecessary money in electric bills. It doesn't matter how much power it consumes, it WILL cost money, and it IS completely unnecessary unless you're downloading or something which you feel is worth the extra cost.
Switching your comp on and off every day puts unnecessary excess strain on it, shortening it's life. In my case computer consumes tiny %-tage of total consumption. Theoretically - yes, it does cost money, but it's negligable amount. One would save money much more efficient, if he started to eat healthy, stop buying unnecessary things, and replace all his vacuum bulbs to white neon bulbs (for example).

so the meter outside gives a direct readout to compare?
Yes, most of them have very precise readings. For example, mine has spinning disk, each full circle equal to 0.01kWh. By the speed of the disk you can see your consmumption at given time.

The amount of money isnt small.

Yes turning your computer on and off does shortern it's life, but doing it once a day will have no affect to your computer. Infact it could help even.

junglemike said:
Switching your comp on and off every day puts unnecessary excess strain on it, shortening it's life. In my case computer consumes tiny %-tage of total consumption. Theoretically - yes, it does cost money, but it's negligable amount. One would save money much more efficient, if he started to eat healthy, stop buying unnecessary things, and replace all his vacuum bulbs to white neon bulbs (for example).

So you're saying that by saving money elsewhere it justifies leaving your computer on when you're not using it? What is the point in leaving it on if it isn't being used? Heat won't kill it, that's a silly excuse. I've been switching computers on and off for years and I have yet to see one break because of thermal expansion and contraction of the components, because it just DOESN'T happen with modern electronics, e.g. computers.

It simply comes down to some people leaving their computer on purely for the sake of it, which is obviously going to increase the electric bill.

m3trj said:
So you're saying that by saving money elsewhere it justifies leaving your computer on when you're not using it? What is the point in leaving it on if it isn't being used? Heat won't kill it, that's a silly excuse. I've been switching computers on and off for years and I have yet to see one break because of thermal expansion and contraction of the components, because it just DOESN'T happen with modern electronics, e.g. computers.

It simply comes down to some people leaving their computer on purely for the sake of it, which is obviously going to increase the electric bill.

Yeah, someone get's it!!! I fully agree m3trj!

quote:Originally posted by m3trj
I've been switching computers on and off for years and I have yet to see one break because of thermal expansion and contraction of the components, because it just DOESN'T happen with modern electronics, e.g. computers.

He is refering to was is called, "Chip Creep". Which was a major problem with older PC's let's say in the 80's... but modern technology has solved those issues with better designs.

MY OPINION:
Leaving your computer on all the time doesn't cost alot of money. It is a waste of electricity, but isn't going to break your bank. In fact, as previously stated by nubius, it is rough on your hardware to constantly turn your PC on and off.

Set up your windows power option settings in the control panel to the following:

Turn off Monitor: After 20 minutes
Turn off Hard Disks: After 2 hours
System Stand-by: After 1 Hour

Also: There is one time that you should always turn off your computer, "During a electrical storm" And MORE IMPORTANTLY, also unplug it and other components that are wired to any other electrical appliances.
Power Surges will follow every possible path and eventually get to your PC.

UPS systems only help to a very, very small degree.

Another misconception is that if you have a 600watt PSU, your PC is always using 600watts, so it must be expensive to have a higher wattage PSU right?

Wrong. Your PC only uses the wattage that is need during specific usage of your PC. Just because your PSU has a max output of 600watts doesn't mean that it's always using it.

Conclusion: Leave it on, use power options above, unplug during storms. Enjoy!!!

Does hibernation do anything?

Also, I have an external HD ...can I unplug so that only when I need to access the files on that drive I can plug it back in without loosing the information stored in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom