Larrabee gpgpu benchmark - 2.7x faster than GT200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

Mod Emeritus
But as of SC09, the top five performing products for SGEMM 4K x 4K are as follows [do note that multi-GPU products are excluded as they don't run SGEMM]:
1. Intel Larrabee [LRB, 45nm] - 1006 GFLOPS
2. EVGA GeForce GTX 285 FTW - 425 GFLOPS
3. nVidia Tesla C1060 [GT200, 65nm] - 370 GFLOPS
4. AMD FireStream 9270 [RV770, 55nm] - 300 GFLOPS
5. IBM PowerXCell 8i [Cell, 65nm] - 164 GFLOPS

Source : Intel Larrabee finally hits 1TFLOPS - 2.7x faster than nVidia GT200! - Bright Side Of News*

It looks like ATI and Nvidia may have some serious competition this generation. Also since Intel will manufacture larrabee in house they won't be impacted by TSMC's yield problems.

but before we all get excited and everything, just remember that you cant use floating point power as a benchmark (as far as gaming performance). i.e, GFlops does not equal how well a certain card will do in games.

Intel is the king of cherry-picking scores and tests for the best light on their product. Honestly, I do hope Larrabee is a success and either a) is released dirt cheap, or b) is released even more expensive than Nvidia. A) would drive down the prices on all other cards, b) would be par for the course for Intel and help drop prices across the board, too.

Phil is right, though... Gflops does not a gaming benchmark make.

I hope this is a sign that they will be working on there integrated graphics a bit more...

But yea, if this all works the way it APPEARS it will kill AMD off, and Nvidia will be hurting, badly.

Intel has a history of bumping people out of the market by price gouging. I wouldn't think they would do it here with such big competition for the market, but I wouldn't put it past them. But if they can put out a better product, all the power to them, just is it at a good price point, that's all I care about.

possibly only in the HPC market. Gflops performance means absolutely noting in the gaming realm.

also something to take note of,

Intel's Larrabee GPU put on ice, more news to come in 2010

AnandTech

Gflops are a valid performance metric assuming you are using real world values and not the theoretical maximums that both ATI and Nvidia tend to advertise. It may not be a direct indication of gaming performance but it still allows you to compare the raw power and gpgpu abilities of the cards. It's no different than comparing cpus based on how fast they can calculate pi using a single threaded algorithm or comparing video cards based off of how well they run a synthetic benchmark.

Intel canceling larrabee for the time being is surprising. Hopefully we will get a better indication of what happened at some point in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom