Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

brndn123

Beta member
I am trying to set up a internet connection through a ethernet cord to another computer in a seperate room. The computer that i am trying to connect to says that the access is local only. Is there a way to change the access on the computer so that i am able to go on the internet? The router recognizes the computer and so does the host computer but the computer that i am trying to get internet on is being really frustrating. Another thing is that the host computer is windows XP and the computer i am trying to get internet on is vista, could that be the problem? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I have tried about everything i can think of to get it connected but it wont.

....Is there a way to change the access on the computer so that i am able to go on the internet?

Did you create an internet connection by using the network wizard, or creating it manually?

Another thing is that the host computer is windows XP and the computer i am trying to get internet on is vista, could that be the problem?

I was told recently that Vista's SP1 has taken care of the issue where they (an XP and Vista machine) couldn't "see" each other. So it must be something else if you have the Vista SP1 installed.

I was told recently that Vista's SP1 has taken care of the issue where they (an XP and Vista machine) couldn't "see" each other. So it must be something else if you have the Vista SP1 installed.
I am not sure what SP is on that system but if there is not then i cannot get the service pack because i am not connected on the internet on that computer.

Did you create an internet connection by using the network wizard, or creating it manually?
There is already internet connection on the host computer and on the other computer i should just plug in the ethernet cord and get internet automatically. I dont see what the problem is on the computer that it cannot get the internet.

Another thing is that the connection says that it is only limited access on the computer i am trying to get internet on. I think that the problem lies in that it is on local access.

You still need to configure that computer to be connected. Not just plug it in. Go into Network Connections, then click Create New Connection.

I am not sure what SP is on that system but if there is not then i cannot get the service pack because i am not connected on the internet on that computer.

Wasn't sure if you had SP1 installed already, just was saying since that Vista SP1 resolved it AND if you had installed SP1 already, then it must be something else. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Another thing is that the connection says that it is only limited access on the computer i am trying to get internet on. I think that the problem lies in that it is on local access.

Right, that's what I'm saying. Since you don't have an internet connection set up with that computer yet, it says local access. You have to try what I mentioned earlier, to set up an Internet Connection with the Network Connections window in Control Panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom