LAN setup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaptorX

Baseband Member
I want to set up a little LAN between my two computers but i only have my DSL modem to connect them.

The issue comes when 1 of the computers is connected by Wireless and the other with Ethernet, I have them both in the same workgroup, and both have IP assigned by DHCP. I ran the "set up a small network" wizard in both and still cant make them see each other.

Is there any way that i can make that my modem route them both together?? by the way my modem is a AVM/Frtiz!box 7270 Windows XP Professional SP2 in one computer and XP professional GERMAN in the other one.

thanks in advance :D

Hello,

No you can not use a Modem to connect them. You will need a router. A Modem is only for transfer of your internet signal. It does not act like a router unless it is one from Verizon that has a router built in. Being that it is for DSL i highly doubt it has a router built into it.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

No you can not use a Modem to connect them. You will need a router. A Modem is only for transfer of your internet signal. It does not act like a router unless it is one from Verizon that has a router built in. Being that it is for DSL i highly doubt it has a router built into it.

Cheers,
Mak

thanks for the info, but the modem im using is also a router, and i have it configured to work that way, my issue is that one pc is wireless and the other one is ethernet, and i believe the modem does not route them both because of the way they are connected, or at least thats what i think.

cheers
RaptorX

Can both your pc's connect to the internet? Are they both in the same subnet? Are you SURE your router-modem IS also a router? post it's model number.

Hello,

Cheers,
Mak

I got one built into mine , I have a PowerNet PAR-720G. Although my ISP isn't American, duh.

On each PC open a command prompt and type without quotes "ipconfig /all" and see what you get. Do this while both are connected at the same time.

If it is truly a router screw the DHCP set both computers to static ips. Then ping them and connect to them via the static ips you set. If they cant communicate then you have a internal Firewall issues on one of the computers.

You can also share the Internet connect with XP.

How to Set up and Use Internet Connection Sharing (XP) <----Guide to share connection without a router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom