lan gaming not working between pc's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Golden Master
this may not be the correct section, but it fit.

I creat a game on my gaming comp, then try to join on my secondary, it's there, but when i click join is says the following:

"Lan Servers are restricted to Lan IP Addresses"

What does this mean? Am i doing something wronge? How can i get it working?

Thanks

PS: using cat 5e cables, and a d-link dss 5+ port 10/100 switch.

I tried several games, the game i first tried was farcry though.

Also, how do i check my static ip's, and how do i change them for they are the same?

Thanks for the help :)

Run , cmd, ipconfig in DOS. Then check what it is...

Check the host ip and stick that in your Internet Browser , from there start configuring your Router.

im sorry, im a complete network noob as i have never used one, and i don't have high speed, also only my laptop has internet right now, and i want my gaming comp to be hosting it, so is there still a way to do it? and i would very much appreciate a walk threw on how to do it :) if it's not to much trouble.

do you have ADSL router?
how is the 2 computers connected? is it connected through a network switch? or straight thru from pc1 to pc2?
try going to both computers and click the "start" button then "run" then type "cmd" in command prompt type "ipconfig" or "ipconfig /all" it should look like this
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-36-4D-C4-36
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.25
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :10.0.0.138

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 193.188.97.193
make sure that you have the same gateway and your IP address should be in the same range as for me im using 10.0.0.25 and the other pc should be 10.0.0.26 or 27 or 28 etc.......

now if you have verified that they are in the same range go to command prompt again then type "ping 10.0.0.26 -t" replace the ip address with the pc that you want to ping, it should reply with 1ms or something just keep it pinging to check if you have a stable link if you think it is stable then you are good to go.

PS. if you do not have the same ip range it will not work.just post here what is your HOST ip and your client IP.

good luck

^ok, your gonna have to say that again in a minute. i don't know what an adsl router is, like i said, i havge a d-link dss 5 port SWITCH. I do not have cross over cables so i can't go direct, im using 2 cat 5e cables threw the router.

Does that change any of the things you said to do? or should i go ahead and do it?

just go ahead with ipconfig and tell me what is the ip of your host pc and the ip of your client pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom