Issue trying to connect laptop and computer to network

Status
Not open for further replies.

frnk.urph

Beta member
Hi all, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am haveing troubles with my parents computer at home and trying to connect my laptop. Recently the computer has had trouble connecting to the internet. It seems to have got progressively worse (at one time it was possible to download via peer to peer and download emails, but nothing else online), and now will not connect at all.

We had no idea why this was with everything that I know about working properly. We even had to go to the extent of getting our ISP to send out a new modem.

Whilst the computer will still not connect I am able to connect my laptop to the network/modem.
I can connect to the internet either directly from the cable, or by cables from the modem to the router and then from the router to my laptop.

However, I am unable to get the laptop to connect to the network all the time. I have another wireless system elsewhere which works with the computer.

My parents had a friend over recently who seems to think that the whole computer will have to be wiped and to start from scratch, surely there is a way to solve this problem?!??!?

Thanks for any help!

try this on the pc:

open the run console (Start > Run)
Type cmd and press Enter
Type in the following commands without the quotes:

ipconfig /flushdns (then press enter)
ipconfig /release (then press enter)
ipconfig /renew (then press enter)

Unless you give a little more specific detalis on your problem I won't be able to help much. E.g. What happens when you connect the pc to the modem? Is there any connection at all? Does your pc say it's connected to the modem, but just can't access the internet?

When you connect your laptop without the router does everything work fine? It is possible your router is going bad.

When was the last time you did a full run of spyware and antivirus scans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom