Is your keyboard 130 years old too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tajahem - Older typists in my office have told me that they had to pace themselves or they would jam up the typewriter and this was with newer technology.
That's exactly why the QWERTY boards were made, because they needed to slow people down to prevent jams. Now that we have better technology, our keyboards and devices rarely jam (PC version of a keybard jam is the beep). So, now that we can physically type faster with our hardware, the idea of bringing back the fast ALPHA boards has re-arrisen.

everyone i know types pretty darn fast on the qwerty kb, it took me years of self teaching to get down good typing speeds on this thing, imagine how much longer it would take to do a 180 and start over! awful. i guess the new kb would be great for people just starting, that way they could learn it without having to "unlearn" the old kb first.

^^Exactly. There is no way that I could learn how to use a new keyboard. I'm way too used to the "standard" keyboard as it is. The new keyboard could possibly be good for new users, but with the fact that most computers are probably going to stay with the QWERTY keyboard it might not really be worth it to buy/use an ALPHA keyboard until they catch on and there are a lot of computers that have them.

:) I clearly feel that it's a terrible product. That doesn't need to be illistrated again, but if this company wants to be successfull with their product, their plan of action should be two fold:

1) Try to sell their product to experienced older users like us. This would really just be a test.

2) If the above is successful then they should go after the younger generations....schools, etc.

Children that are learning to read would be the ideal target.....get them used to the new style keyboard while they are learning the alphabet....

It would take me years to get used to that keyboard. Good luck to the company trying to get everyone to switch!

Also:
ShoobieRat said:
This would actually make a really awsome gaming keyboard. If you notice, the arrow keys are in the center, with lots of nicely arranged buttons around them.

I was thinking about that. It might work, but you would have to move your middle finger a lot lower to hit the down key. So maybe, maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom