IS your comp too LOUD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CivicSIR

Baseband Member
My Box is the loudest computer you'll ever hear, ok im running a Gigabyte mobo, with Intel Chipset, a 400 watt PS, Pentium 4 2.4 ghz 1gb DDR pc2700 80gb maxtor 7200 Hard drive, Geforce 4 128mb, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 platnium. so my comps pretty packed, i m looking for tips and trick on how to make the BEAST SILENT or at LEAST sleepable to be around.... please let me know your tips and tricks on this matter

The Standard answer is as long as its running cool the noise is ok.

I would tend to want a quieter box so buying less noisy fans would be the way to go, you can also get anti- vibration feet to reduce the transmition of the sound through you furniture. www.quietpc.com

There are some people who take it to extremes www.zerofanzone.co.uk

as you see I only know uk addresses so check out google for usa.
How much time/money you are preparred to invest determins the result.

Zalman makes wicked products that allow you to cool your hardware to the max while keeping the noise to a minimum. Check out their passive video card cooling and their flower CPU heatsinks, which will probably make the biggest difference in noise levels. They also sell quiet hard drives and power supplies if you're looking to take things to the extreme ;)

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/intro.htm

as clem556 said, it's mostly the fans that make the noise
i got my case with a 400W PS and a low noise fan - the only problem is I havent built a computer inside it yet

He he! My iMac is silent! (no fans)! :laughing:;)

But seriously, I've heard that putting neon lights in your case cools things off a bit without the noise. And (i've heard) that there is a type of fan you can buy that makes minimal to no noise, but (i've also heard) it's kinda pricey. Sorry I don't know where to point you to find this (supposed) fan, but if it gives you something to look for...:)

OR.... you could just turn it off before you go to sleep... that would keep it quiet. :laughing:

my friend has watercooling and the only noise he was getting was from the 3 fans on top of his rig that cooled the radiator, he wanted those to be a bit more quiet however, so he lined the outside of his radiator, right around where the fans were, with a blue insulating foam.

not sure exactly how that would work as far as heat transfer goes... it might prevent the radiator from proper cooling, or it might have even made it even cooler... im not exactly sure, but it definately dampened the noise of his fans.

This is a pretty good question.

I know that Lian Li (sp?) sells a soundproof case which should pretty much solve your problem if you are willing to go that far. Of course that means paying the $250-$320 for the case, and then ripping the guts out of your computer and putting it in there.

It can be found at www.xoxide.com.

There are other assorted things there that might be able to help you, such as manual fan regulators or fans that adjust to what is needed by the system.

I am not sure how much water cooling cuts down on sound, but I would like to know!

I Dynamatted the side panels of my case and its very quiet. The PS fan is the only thing that is audible. (And I plan on swapping it out with something quiter.)

Hi CivicSIR, I got same issue, so I went to PC shop and bought new cooler with lower speed and greater cooler surface, also I asked support guy to turn it on so I can hear it is really quiet.

my pc is loud as hell too cause ive got 2 vantec tornadoes in it one 92mm one 80mm and no fan controller. as loud as it is i dont mind too much only because its doing a great job of keeping my pc cool. you could try a fan controller though and set your fans to a point where they do an adequate job of cooling but arent as loud. dynamatting works for sound but it also holds hot air in your pc and you dont want that. if youre really desperate go water cooled it gives you great cooling with little to low noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom